Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Having trouble deciding what to charge for one page site

web development payment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others
  • Learning:Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hey Guys,

i've been developing for quite some time. and i've gotten used to figuring out what to charge for sites I do. (i actually use a formula I found reading a blog entry from a user on this site) but recently i've got a client who wants a one page site. however i can't figure out what to charge them. I don't want to rip them off. but at the same time I want to make money.

So here's the details, without breaching confidentiality. I have a client who wants A PAGE done. all they want is a form on there for people to send them emails. I'm not doing graphics, as those will be provided. so basically all i've got to do is the php. it's like a 30 second job, and the "coding" aspect is already done. 

as it only took me 30 seconds to complete. i'm not too sure what to do. on one hand I know he came to me because he can't do this himself. so I should get paid for services rendered. however on the other hand. what services?

I've got a figure in mind. like $75 - $100. but it seems a bit small. 

what would you guys charge for something like this normally? it would help give me an idea of what I should be charging.

as always any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#2 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

I would say do it for free if in return he recommends you to his friends as a good programmer! :)

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

I'd be tempted to charge him $5 and call it good.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 farrell2k

farrell2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

Charge him $10 and have a very happy customer who will recommend you!

Averageloser.com - I used to be a programmer like you, then I took a -> in the knee. 

#5 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

man, I feel like I overshot the estimate now. lol.

I would say do it for free if in return he recommends you to his friends as a good programmer! :)

I'd be tempted to charge him $5 and call it good.

Charge him $10 and have a very happy customer who will recommend you!

those are all good suggestions. but i don't want to look cheap at the same time. I thought about it all last night. and seeing as how i'll be setting up the environment, web mail, redirecting the url's using .htaccess and such, i think i'll call it an even $50 for the form and other services rendered. thoughts?

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

#6 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm gonna have to go against pretty much everybody here...

Even if it only take me 5minutes, in all my contract, I say that I charge a minimum of 2hours

Don't forget, the time you negociate with him, the time you read his email, understand what he want, and after that, every single clients will always come back to add this option or that thing, so even a 5minutes job take more time.

And even if it's not time that you work on the project, it is time that you cannot work on other project because you are with this client, so in my mind, it should be billed

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#7 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yes, you have to bill it. In addition to Vaielab's comment, take into account that if you go free or very cheap the client will expect you to be always like that.

#8 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm gonna have to go against pretty much everybody here...

Even if it only take me 5minutes, in all my contract, I say that I charge a minimum of 2hours

Don't forget, the time you negociate with him, the time you read his email, understand what he want, and after that, every single clients will always come back to add this option or that thing, so even a 5minutes job take more time.

And even if it's not time that you work on the project, it is time that you cannot work on other project because you are with this client, so in my mind, it should be billed

i was considering that. but as I only needed the form there wasn't much "reading" and so on to do. but that is a good idea

Yes, you have to bill it. In addition to Vaielab's comment, take into account that if you go free or very cheap the client will expect you to be always like that.

yes, that was one of my main issues with it. was that if this client needs something more in the future, charging him cheap now might make him want more for less.

thanks for the help guys. i've got a good idea how I should do this now. :P

#9 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

From a long-time consultant:  Do not charge by the page or per content.  Charge by the hour, and be honest.   Also, you round up your time.  This means that if it takes you an hour and a half, you charge for 2 hours.

The reason behind this is that once you complete the page, the person will ask for adjustments, enhancements, etc,  This way, your price has already been settled, and you are working for your time, not how many lines of code you have written.

I do like LKP's idea of gaining goodwill by giving a freebie.  If you are just starting out and want to build a clientele, this could work for you.  It might also get you more work from that client.

One time a friend of mine asked me to help him on a project.  He said it would be a clean 50/50 split.  I told him that I would make my decision after getting the specs of the system.

I went with him to the client for the requirements, etc.   I kept quiet most of the meeting, just soaking it all in.  It was a fairly large project, but pretty straightforward.  

Finally, it came down to price, and my friend negotiated a flat price of $4,000. 

On the ride home, I started doing the math.  Since it was a large project, it would take a couple of months to complete the existing requirements.  A couple of months is approximately 8 weeks with an average of 30-40 hours a week.  

I told him that I was unwilling to work with him on the project.

The reason was that it wasn't worth the money.

Doing the math:

$4000

divided by 2 people

$2000

divided by the estimated 8 weeks

$250

divided by a low estimate of 30 hours a week

$8.33/hr

I would have been better off wearing a headset at a window and asking customers if they "want to super-size your order"

Charge by the hour.  It will be a rule that you will probably disregard once, and only once, because you will learn quickly after basically making less money than a cashier at a fast-food restaurant.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download