Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Career Advice

career student programming

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#25 birko19

birko19

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, VBScript, Others

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

this is (very) sadly not true in many places...

Sadly or not, I think if anyone has concerns that a career will be demanding, they're better off avoiding it.

#26 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Wonderful advice.  Everyone should work in the hamburger drive-thru because some profession might be demanding. :eek:

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#27 birko19

birko19

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, VBScript, Others

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Wonderful advice.  Everyone should work in the hamburger drive-thru because some profession might be demanding. :eek:

If that was based on what I said, you're being a little extreme here lol.

I simply mean if your heart is not into you, there's no point of going through the headache. Being a developer is not exactly a walk in the park, but if you love doing it you'll overcome those obstacles.

#28 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Visual Basic .NET, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Bash

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

Like any other profession, or anything in life, for that matter, "you get out, what you put in."  

This means that if you do the things necessary to get to the next level, you will achieve the higher level.  If you waste time and do the absolute minimal necessary to keep your job, you will NOT advance and you will be in a dead-end job.  

It also means that if you are the type of person that wants (or needs) to learn what you do not already know, your job will become easier.  The more you know, the easier it is.  The less direction you need, the better your potential of growth.

This basic principal goes for ANY profession.  For example, think of a simple summer job like landscaping.  When you start, you push a lawn mower all day.  But if you take the time to learn from the mechanic when something goes wrong with the lawn mower, you may become the mechanic.  It might actually lead into another year round part-time job....fixing small engines.  You can fix lawn mowers in the spring and summer, and fix snow blowers, etc., in the fall and winter.

That knowledge and side job could stay with you forever.  Even if you have a full time job, you can still do a few fixes as a side job.

Unfortunately, I see this "go getter" attitude less and less evident in people as the years go by.  

The best advice I have ever heard was "no matter what the job, be the absolute best you can be at it, and it will pay off."

So, don't shy away from programming because it may be daunting.  The more work you put in learning and getting better, the less work it takes for complete a task.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download