Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What to do next?

career life

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JackPippin

JackPippin

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I have been producing things in PCs for 10 years. First web design, then programming, a while back SEO. Now I don't know what to do next.

I made more then $1 million from a few websites thanks to God. Got a few national awards in competitions. In past my motivation was money or interest but now its not.

After begin computer science in university, I realized that I am not really enjoying programming or learning programming. I enjoy producing things that are valuable or big. I enjoy the process of producing and seeing the outcome I guess. I don't like learning programming related things for the sake of programming.

When I need to do achieve something in my project, I search about it and I learn how to reach to that. Either I do it myself or find someone else's work and apply it. I don't care about programming itself.

I think this is because I realized that if I start a career as software engineer, the company I work for will make much more money than I do from my work. Meanwhile I do the hard work for them. They will just manage me, set deadlines, provide safe and fun environment etc. but the bigger piece of the pie will belong to them. 

Also, I will think my ** off for little details that doesn't matter in the big picture. But if I use my energy on bringing the parts together instead of working on little details I feel like outcome for me will be much more great. I don't know if this is a delusion or not :)

Considering that I can't just be happy programming, and I don't know where to go. 

Recently I tried to produce some things in iOS environment but I really got bored and stop. However, I remember I was spending 14 hours on a computer learning ASP in past.

I feel like the best thing I can do is to be patient for 2 years to finish my uni. Meanwhile I make more friends that could be my coworkers in future. After I finish uni, I work on my projects for a couple of years. If things go bad financially, I focus on programming again and start working as a software engineer. 

Can you share some thoughts that could be helpful?

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Welcome aboard!

If you have already made the money, and you don't like programing, and have the experience I don't see why to go on with the university, since you don't need a degree when you already have a name or money... it sound like a better plan to leave to all, enjoy your life, invest some money and maybe try to lead your own start up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, life

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download