Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

new chatroom website called e-chat - How to attract more people?

chat people conversation cloud webapp online social

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 MichalZyskowski

MichalZyskowski

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hey Forum,

I have recently opened a new chatrooms website called e-chat (www.e-chat.co), about 2 months ago. There have been about 11,000 sign-ups so far, which is pretty nice!

BUT! the issue is that people DO NOT stay, number of online users at any given time varies between 20-40. I have tried MANY different strategies to hold people on the website, still without much success.

Any clue what can be done to improve these statistics? I am very much surprised by this outcome :/

Let me know your thoughs, or write me an email at echat.chat.online@gmail.com

Kind Regards,

Michael Zyskowski.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

My first reaction: I have to sign up with a username/password to join something when I can't even see what it looks like? Pass.

If I could log in without registering, I'd be more inclined to try it out, and have registering as an option to reserve my username.

Having used Facebook chat, Skype chat, IRC, etc, I can't even tell what what your experience will actually be like until well after I've signed up. I have no clue if it's full of teenagers, pop culture discussions, etc.

So, you have a site that offers potential users no clue why they might want to sign up. Then you have an average user base of 20-40 people, which means if I sign up and find that nobody is chatting about anything I care about, I'll log off and probably never return.

Are you collecting any meaningful metrics, such as average number of visits after signing up, average age of user, typical topics of discussion, average times spent on the site in a session, etc, etc, etc, etc? What seems likely is that you have a small group of students who have found your site and use it as their "private" chat area, shunning newcomers and eating your resources, but that's only a wild guess.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, thinking about what WP said I guess it makes sense that a lot of people signed up, found nothing, and never came back.

There's many way to chat with the people you know, and also there are ways to chat ant meet new people, so, in order to engage people you need to give them something better than what they already have. So, do you have any ace under the sleeve? or is it just another chat site?

#4 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

The best thing would be to use Uncle Rico's Time Machine and set it to 1997.

Other than that, you have to have something that people would want.  Just an idea, why not have some kind of a feed of deals in their area at stores near them, which scrolls as new deal pop up.   Not necessarily that exact idea, but something that might keep people on your site longer than they would without it.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#5 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

I just checked on his profile, he hasn't even been on since Dec 21st :P

Still, all the above advice is good, plus talking to your members will help.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#6 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Wow, it's strange that it was listed when I hit the "view new content" link.  

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download