Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Issue with memory recognition in Ubuntu 12.04

memory ubuntu

Best Answer WingedPanther73, 12 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

I wouldn't expect Free to be 4GB, since you have the OS loaded, and depending on which desktop you're running, there will be a LOT loaded. You may want to open System Monitor (don't recall the exact name) to see all of the various processes that are loaded to get a better idea of why you have around 400MB being used.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Patton

Patton

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

I have checked the bios and it is recognizing all 4gb (4096mb) of the ram. However, when i type "free" in terminal it says i have 3.4 total GB recognized.

I am running 64bit ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an ASUS k55n.

I am wanting to upgrade to 8G memory soon, but i want to figure out why it isnt recognizing all of my existing memory before i upgrade.

Thanks for the help

Edited by Patton, 11 December 2013 - 06:53 PM.

Todays lucky numbers: 4-8-15-16-23-42

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:40 AM   Best Answer

I wouldn't expect Free to be 4GB, since you have the OS loaded, and depending on which desktop you're running, there will be a LOT loaded. You may want to open System Monitor (don't recall the exact name) to see all of the various processes that are loaded to get a better idea of why you have around 400MB being used.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Patton

Patton

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the response, however under free i was referencing the "total" column. which reflects the total amount of ram the system has to use. I also looked under system monitor-->resources, where i found a similar number that was truncated to one decimal...(3.3)

Todays lucky numbers: 4-8-15-16-23-42

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download