Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Just How Stupid Do They Think We are? (Microsoft support scam)

microsoft support scam event viewer scam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#13 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Because they have your money by that point thus they 'do not' morally have to protect you from others, it's like if I were to buy a car from Audi, they would not call me ten days later to tell me to watch out for car thieves.

Not to mention it's bad marketing to say "Oh by the way, the product you're buying, you may become a target for scam artists by using it!"

My point exactly...because they have your money already, and it does not benefit them further to offer any more than what they already have.

But your analogy doesn't exactly fit here; it would be more akin to buying a car from Audi -- while Audi had prior knowledge that their car buyers homes would be targeted for burglary, not necessarily because of the purchase, but that the car could offer an easier way into the customers home.

Without regards to moral obligations (I completely agree, it is not their moral obligation), but solely from a marketing and public relations stand point, and maybe even legal (because of the litigious societies we live in) -- would there not be a benefit to educating the customer since they've already admitted to prior knowledge?

And it is never bad marketing to protect your customers -- especially from things that you have prior knowledge of and that could lead to a loss (financial, health, or otherwise) for the customer. I say this from a marketing background.

How did we get down this path anyways, LKP?  I think I need to get into the holiday spirit :c-laugh:

Edit:

PS, I am NOT saying that MS should do anything more than they are, only that they could, and it would not hurt them for doing so.

Edited by KJGino, 24 November 2013 - 03:03 PM.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#14 CMR

CMR

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

This never happened in me, but it's true that lot of non techy persons falls for this.

Constant changing == Technology

#15 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

I've had those calls, and they soon wish they hadn't called.  I just turn it around on them.  Know that they are not allowed to hang up first.  You can berate them until they cry, and they cannot hang up.  Don't be polite, just hit them with the nastiest things you can say.  The calls will stop rather quickly.  If you are polite, they continue. 

I also think it's therapeutic in some way.  You get out all your frustrations on some idiot thinking trying to play you for an idiot. 

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#16 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Next time someone like that call you, remember every single stupid question somebody ever ask you, and ask them but even when the answer is the correct one, say that you didn't understand, or you don't have that button... it could be fun!

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#17 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

You guys are giving me some good ideas to have some fun.

Next time I think I will open a VM with Ubuntu, and offer to connect with them right away so they can fix my windows problem...because of course I am not seeing ANYTHING they say that I should be seeing...

And I think I will have this as my background image:

fbi_cybercrime__terminal_logon_by_w1ck3dmatt-d4a2m6z.jpg

FACEB00K Likes this.

#18 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I've been getting calls lately from people offering to help fix my credit and pay off my credit cards. They get very, very confused when I explain that I have no credit cards, and need their help to locate the source of the identity theft.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#19 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I've been getting calls lately from people offering to help fix my credit and pay off my credit cards. They get very, very confused when I explain that I have no credit cards, and need their help to locate the source of the identity theft.

I've been getting these calls too. Think I'll ask this question too next time, and see what response I get.

FACEB00K Likes this.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download