Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of building a new desktop on cyber-monday

mobo whitebox custom

Best Answer BlackRabbit, 17 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well, upgrading the hardware is always a welcomed idea :D

your keyword is: Benchmarks

This is a page where you can appreciate some

I invite you to find benchmarks from your motherboard mixed with every CPU you have in mind, see for yourself which one suits you better.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patton

Patton

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the awesome deals on Newegg on cyber monday (monday after thanksgiving). I'm not that familiar with motherboards, and i'm wondering what certain elements are going to hold my performance back?

I'm going to build an AMD setup, probably with the new 8 core 4.0ghz processor (i might do the black edition six core though)

w/ around 8Gigs of ram or so

and i probably will get a 1Gig graphics card

and a decent size SSD

My main concern is making sure that if i get a sweet processor, that my motherboard will hold it back.

Advice?

Edited by Patton, 17 November 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Todays lucky numbers: 4-8-15-16-23-42

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:35 PM   Best Answer

Well, upgrading the hardware is always a welcomed idea :D

your keyword is: Benchmarks

This is a page where you can appreciate some

I invite you to find benchmarks from your motherboard mixed with every CPU you have in mind, see for yourself which one suits you better.

#3 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Keep in mind the frontside bus (system bus) speed because this is where most bottlenecks occur in processing. So you could have a blazingly fast CPU connecting with a slower frontside bus speed, and that would have a definite effect your performance.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#4 Patton

Patton

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

@Black Rabbit

Well as helpful as this link is, it really makes me dream more than anything, considering I had to CTRL +F to find any AMD cpu in the list... LOL

Seriously though, I'm happy that the FX 8350 i'm considering made the list...at number 59 of the high end list.

Todays lucky numbers: 4-8-15-16-23-42

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download