Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to customize a PC

computer hardware software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrcraziboi1

mrcraziboi1

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hey there!
So I'm building myself a "custom pc", I know how to put everything together the only thing I am not to sure on is the software side of things.
So my current pc is an AMD Athlon II X2.... yeah... old :(
And in the new pc I have i7 3820 (2011 chipset) yeah... NEW! :D

I don't think I have to say all the specs because they preety much speak for themselves haha, what my problem is, is the OS
I'm running windows 7 Ultimate atm, and was wondering that because I'm making at least a 6 year gap of components will the OS recognise any of the hardware or will it kinda have a spaz attack and not let me boot up.

Either way I'm going to try my luck without having to re-install windows... although I have a sneeky suspision that I'm going to have to :'(

Any answer is appreciated... I'm very lost and worried about this :P lol :)

THANKS! :D

Edited by Roger, 09 November 2013 - 05:12 PM.
title

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Wow wow wow! Slow down Mr. computer mechanic.

In order to answer I need to ask: Are talking about using the same hard-drive, without any re-install? just like from one computer to the other with no intermediate steps?  If so, I think the OS might not boot, I am not sure, never did it with a windows 7.

The most probable thing to happen is that you'll end up needing to reinstall the OS over the current one, so your programs and OS customizations will keep going just as they were.

#3 mrcraziboi1

mrcraziboi1

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply Rabbit! And yes, I'm taking all my hard drives from one system to the next, I know I'll be able to use the other stuff but I've been told the OS might have some problems with not recognising it.

Has anybody else tried this or had the same experience? I really need to know as my last set of parts are coming in next week hopefully, What I'm thinking of doing is getting an SSD and installing windows on that, then just copy over all my programs. Although That will take forever to do :/

BlackRabbit, when you mentioned installing windows 7 over the current one, how will I go about doing that because I don't have a "legit" installer to my knowledge (this current pc was built by a friend). Would I just have to purchase a W7 CD?

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

You have a problem with that then bro. The OS update will "like" to check the version to be legit...

#5 mrcraziboi1

mrcraziboi1

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well this is what I don't know, if it's "legit" or not. I think either way, I'm going to have to update the OS in one way or another lol

#6 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

You should try this it's called a VARK test and will try to give you an answer on how you learn best.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#7 cloud

cloud

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:C#, PHP

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

ive done taking the old hardrive and putting it in the new desktop for so many times in my client, it will just bootup but just take all your important software and files, i know for sure it will not last long, the problem will appear is the bluescreen, coz the chipset and other driver installed is the old driver,even you will install the new driver,the best thing to do for new desktop is to reformat.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download