Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hey, I have a life question

c#

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cody89

Cody89

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

I am deployed and I have 6 months of a lot of nothing to do. In this time I want to spend it pursuing something great. I don't know what I should do but this is what I am into.

Computers!
Programming
Game Development
Web Development

Now each can be broken down for example:

Programming
* C#
* Java
* PHP
* Python
* Objective C

Game Devlopment
* iOS Apps
* Android Apps
* PC Games (MMORPG)

Web Devlopment
* Forum
* Online website for something?
* PHP/HTML/CSS
* Online business (Followers, YT Views, Hosting, VPN, etc)

And I am sure more can be added to each. I am not sure what I should pursue. I want something that will:

1. Not saturate within the next 20 years
2. Not be a waste of time
3. Generate profit in the short term and long term
4. Be very useful outside of the military (AKA a career decision that will bloom)

I need help on what to do! Please take this thread serious.

#2 tavichh

tavichh

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C++, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Web development will always be helpful...even 20 years from now :P.

However, you need to know what your going to do exactly with what you create. Are you going to sell it? free? etc.

Programming is another best bet. However, a new programming language that grabs curiosity is developed every few years. But, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to stop using the current one. C is old, and lots of people still use that. The same rules apply however.

Once you master those, you could be the god of the internet. Everything else should logically come to you (Game Development, Business Management, etc.)

Edited by Thryckz, 08 November 2013 - 07:12 PM.

Send a like my way if I helped you or if you found my post useful or even just enjoyed reading my post.
Thank you :)

#3 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

All those requirements and you want to learn it in just six months?  I think you are not taking this seriously :P

About what will keep being useful the next 20 years... well, my wizardry doesn't go that far :D

What I can tell is the internet will keep existing and growing, and that the base languages, as c++ and java will keep existing, their market share? unpredictable, but their syntax is usually what inspires new languages, so... I would choose one of those and put myself into it.

#4 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

First of all, it is hard to say what will be useful in 20 years time, we can only give you an estimate not a guarantee however anything you do with technology will be 'useful' so long as you keep up with the changes in it (such as Python going from 2.X to 3.X) and learn how to adapt to the new way things run, always learn new programming things, technology is evolving fast and it requires a fast and adaptive nature to keep up with it.

I would focus on learning one language at a time and go from there, Java, Python and C++ are good languages to know for software and PHP/Python is my personal favourite for anything website related.

- LKP

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#5 Cody89

Cody89

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know you cant predict the future but I was just looking into insight of a language will will continue to be used.

I am looking for things I can make to sell. And as far as languages I know a little Java and a little C#. Between these two which should I go with?

Also does anyone know what kind of programs are worth making for money?

Or should I learn PHP for making money?

#6 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

Here are some realities about 'making money' using programming.

1. We can not tell you what programs are worth making to make money as people will request certain things be built.

2. Freelance sites are your best option to get clients.

3. Learning PHP for 'making money' is like learning how to drive to make money, you can only make money if someone wants to hire you as their programmer / driver.

4. You will need a lot of free time, programming takes a long time to learn and to become really good at it takes even longer.

5. People will want to see your work (ePortfolio) and depending on how 'good' you are (judged by others, not yourself) will determine how much you can charge.

6. Programming for money will take time, so you can't work a full time job as a security guard and then do a bit of programming on the side to earn you $1,000.

- LKP

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#7 Cody89

Cody89

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

I understand this. But I am just trying to see what language is more profitable at the moment. PHP seems to be very profitable as people are always wanting backends to websites built. Even in your signature you charge 15$ /hour for PHP work. I seem more pople asking for PHP coders then anyone asking for Java/C#/C++ coders.

I think I am going to be tossed up between learning a coding language to develop mobile apps or to learn PHP.

If you have any input on which of these that would be great. Also, I KNOW that this isn't going to be something to learn overnight and make 10k$ tomorrow. I know this won't even happen in 6 months. But I think in the 6 months free time I have that I can make a good solid foundation.

#8 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

Why can't you learn both PHP and Mobile Dev? Just because you learn one language doesn't mean you can't learn any other language (in fact for most people the more languages you know the easier it becomes to learn new ones)

Also it may 'seem' profitable but when you break down the stress, the different costs (personal costs) and so on it soon doesn't seem that great.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#9 Cody89

Cody89

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

Well yeah I mean I can learn both but I want to focus on one thing at a time. I want to get fluent in one then move on to another. For example, If I learn PHP I want to be able to write a decent script without having to reference to much. I want to be able to understand everything I am doing. I think if I tried to do two different languages at the same time I would begin to get lost in which code goes to which language and what not.

#10 DoCo

DoCo

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Learning:C++, Others

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Whichever route you choose to do you will need to work hard, you can not expect toachieve something good to sell in a short time.
PS: If it were not so, the computer would be something ordinary. This is my opinion.

#11 Aion

Aion

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Programming is in higher demand than the other two, Web Development and Games Development are saturated with developers and is highly competitive.  Plus if you become skilled at Programming you'll be able to do Web Development and Games Development anyway.  I'd recommend solely learning Java in depth over the 6 months, the other languages you listed will be easier to learn if you learn Java.  I'd even just stick with Java, Java's very versatile.

Edited by GreenshootProgrammer, 09 November 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#12 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Looking at your areas of interest, I would pursue C#. It can be used for application, web, and game (XBOX) development. I don't think MS will be dropping it any time soon, either.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download