Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Strange Request: Need A Naturalist Programmer to Talk

religion programming interview

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bumperk

bumperk

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hello All,

I have been an ASP/ASP.net programmer for 20 years now.  But, I am getting my masters and I am taking a class on the Philosophy of Naturalism and I need to talk to some programmers who are naturalist.  A naturalist is basically someone who believes that only natural things exist (i.e. - no God, no angels, not demons, etc).  They would be very close to an empiricist and/or a believer in scientism. 

So, would you be willing to be interviewed?  I don't need long, maybe 20 minutes.  I would honestly be happy to pay, but that would be very much against academic rules, so I guess I am asking for any kind hearted naturalists out there to be willing to talk to me for a few minutes.  My email is brandonAThh76DOTcom.  Just drop me a line or respond to this posting and I will call on my dime.

For full disclosure, I am a Christian but I want your viewpoint and I won't be proselytizing.  I am trying to understand the view of a very small sub-group - the naturalist programmer - and see if there is a way to present some information to them in a pseudo programming language.

Sincerely,

Brandon Monahan

brandonAThh76DOTcom

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

Welcome aboard.

Sorry, but I don't qualify to be interviewed. I love Jesus too much :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

I would be happy to be interviewed as I'm a naturalist believer

Edited by LKP, 16 November 2013 - 07:46 AM.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#4 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, (Visual) Basic, Perl, Transact-SQL, Bash, Prolog, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hmm, I read that title as - need a naturist programmer. An entirely different thing.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#5 bumperk

bumperk

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thank you Loren (or Loren Kady?) - I will be getting stuff together and contact you. 

WingedPanther - Funny enough, I am interviewing Christian programmers - but I run in large crowds of nerdy Christ followers - so my quota is full :).

Evan - I was thinking that some would take "Naturalist Programmer" to mean someone who tinkered with the programming of nature. Maybe something like "The Island of Dr. Moreau"?

Others are welcome! 

Thanks again.

Brandon

#6 DoCo

DoCo

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Learning:C++, Others

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Welcome aboard!

Such as WingedPhanter, I love Jesus. :)

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

When I first read "Naturalist Programmer", I thought of an environmentally conscious programmer or a nudist programmer. *sigh*

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:36 AM

I thought of it more likely to be a natural language programmer, lol.

I don't think you could make any not really comfortable question, hence I encourage you to put those on a post, and read the codecallers answers.

It's also the first time I've heard the word naturalist in the sense you did :D

#9 bumperk

bumperk

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Here are the questions.  I will be posting them elsewhere.  I know I am asking for time which no one has a lot of - but if you have a moment your help would be much appreciated.

1. Name
2. Occupation
3. Experience (years)
4. Do you believe in the super-natural (something beyond nature)?  Why or why not?
5. Would you do your work any differently if the super-natural was known to be real?
6. Do you believe your field as a whole would be different if naturalism was known to be false?
7. What type of evidence would be necessary to change your belief on naturalism? (for example, internal inconsistencies, logical fallacies, real-world application issues, evidentiary proof, experiential proof, etc.)
8. If there was one point you would want those Christian apologists to know, it would be:

#10 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Lisp, Scheme

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

I thought he wanted other naked people to code with...

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

#11 Sundance

Sundance

CC Devotee

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

1. Name

Loren Kady Petrov
2. Occupation

Student of Medicine
3. Experience (years)

In programming 4 years, in naturalism for as long as I can remember
4. Do you believe in the super-natural (something beyond nature)? Why or why not?

Nope, I'm very heavy on believing what I can see, what I can test for, if there is no way for it to be remotely proven then it's not worth believing, the super natural is just folklore and so forth
5. Would you do your work any differently if the super-natural was known to be real?

I genuinely can't say if I would or I wouldn't, if it were real before I was born and I grew up with it, I would probably do things differently because it would already be a part of my "life", but if it were proven today, it wouldn't interest me so I don't think I would.
6. Do you believe your field as a whole would be different if naturalism was known to be false?

Looking into the past and how medicine was seen VS god and how some religions see medical advancements as "against" god (Jehovah witnesses disagreeing with blood transfusions) so yes, I do think it would be different.
7. What type of evidence would be necessary to change your belief on naturalism? (for example, internal inconsistencies, logical fallacies, real-world application issues, evidentiary proof, experiential proof, etc.)

I would need some sort of evidence that could not be explained by current science, I'm very open minded, to me if there was a God he would be a scientist whom created the world, he would not be a deity of all knowing and all seeing wisdom.
8. If there was one point you would want those Christian apologists to know, it would be:

You should never worship anyone or anything because of fear.

Just figured I would post my answers here for anyone curious.

Edited by LKP, 01 November 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Please read the

FaQ & Guidelines

#12 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, (Visual) Basic, Perl, Transact-SQL, Bash, Prolog, Others
  • Learning:Others

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I thought he wanted other naked people to code with...

hahaha.... and image now I wish my brain didn't imagine...

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download