Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

SQL Server version problem

sql server

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeW

GeorgeW

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've got a number of applications running databases under SQL Server 2008 R2.  My hosting service has now migrated their server over to SQL server 2012. My apps still appear to be working correctly, but I can't access any of the databases using the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I get all kinds of weird messages :

"This back end version is not supported to design database diagrams or tables" when I try to view a table's design

or

"Invalid prefix or suffix characters" when I try to view data in a table.

both of these errors are expected when a SQL 2008 data base is viewed using a SQL 2012 server.  however, here's my questions:

How feasible is it to run SQL server 2008 R@ and SQL server 2012 on the same machine?

(ie, can I download sql server 2012 express,and run it side by side with my SQL server 2008 R2)

will this cause me any problems in the future if I just ignore the management studio?

Any help will be gratefully received.  

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

George

Edited by GeorgeW, 28 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hello George,

It's never an easy one with you, is it? :P

Thing is yet, you can make both versions to coexist, but it's a little tricky, you need to install one as master (as it comes) and the other as what Microsoft calls named instance (and make them use non standard ports to avoid IP conflicts )

Here is a link about it from Microsoft

#3 GeorgeW

GeorgeW

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Rabbit, I wonder if it's possible to just have a SQL 2012 version of the management studio, as a standalone.  That's what's causing the problems I'm sure.  

My main worry is that I have a few clients using applications that rely on the old databases, and it would be a disaster if they suddenly stopped working.  

I think my strategy has got to be to have a working version where the database resides on a server that I know will not change (thank goodness my hosting people have got one), and connect to that, and make sure that  everything works, run thatout and only then start playing silly buxxxx with sql versions.  

I'm getting to old for this.

George

#4 GeorgeW

GeorgeW

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hiya Rabbit, just to let you know that I've done it, yes you can, and it works great.  Up to know everything works wonderfully,  Thanks for the link, it helped tremendously.  

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Happy to know you could set it up, it's sometimes troublesome to install.

So... Cheers to legacy support!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download