Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hiring a good Graphic Designer / Web Designer

graphic design web design hire

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, PL/SQL, Assembly
  • Learning:C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

In this thread I am seeking advice regarding the processes of hiring someone to do graphic design & web design, I will explain why I am experiencing some frustration in the process and would appreciate your advice in the matters. I will begin by setting the scene...

I recently started my own business, so recently that I am currently in the process of building my website which will be my starting point for operating as the primary point of contact with my customers.

As a developer myself I am writing all of the back-end code for my website, this involves the server side processing and database code.

So this is where the problems starts, should I also design the front end or hire someone to do it for me.

I could design the front end of my website however I am not the best at creating professional looking CSS, and good looking graphic design is not part of my skillset.

I could definitely do a simple front end for the website but I feel since the site will be my primary contact point I should go over the top and create a strong brand image.

So I did some google searching and the web design business is loaded with competition I don't know where to start since their are too many options and it seems to be an industry where you contact someone and wait around for a quote to come back that over your limit which makes it frustrating.

Here what I need: Around $750 at most for 5 pages, I need a custom logo design, and I want professional graphic design with custom images on most pages. The most important page is the landing page which must have custom images and the checkout page needs a very slick transition and checkout interface. Second most important is the look of the users login profile which needs basic account setting page, and then a section to select from the 10 products I am offering. Other pages are basic stuff like "about us, contact us, products". (again I handle all the backend stuff.. I can even do the ajax calls on the front end).

So far my experience has been bad web designers in my price range, or great looking company that comes back with a quote of say $2500, I hate messaging people and waiting for quotes.. I don't like the freelancer sites they all seem in a rush to make a buck and dump your project on you. There also seems to be a gap in the market between good graphic designers and good CSS web designers.

You thoughts?

Send me a link to your portfolio if your interested!

~Ryan

Edited by Pally, 05 October 2013 - 07:57 AM.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#2 tomchinery

tomchinery

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript, Bash, Others

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Am I allowed to say I can do all this for you? xD No it's okay, I have a full time job, if I was freelance though I would most certainly do that work for you within your given budget. 

I haven't had much experiences with other web designers but I know a few front end web developers. They generally get all their work from referrals so perhaps you should ask around your local area, or go to a developer meeting there's bound to be someone with the skill set your looking for. 

Personally if it was me I would never hire someone off the internet directly. Firstly you don't know them so how are you to know if they are a good designer, secondly they could quite easily design something which differs from what you wanted and expect to be paid for that and any revisions. Where's if you were to meet with someone in real life they are much more likely to picture your ideas and produce what you had originally envisioned. 

#3 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, PL/SQL, Assembly
  • Learning:C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I guess I could always hire a redesign down the road and just do the simple design I had in mind. 

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#4 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others
  • Learning:Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

hey Pally,

I'm a freelancer, but unfortunately i'm more back end than front end. but a friend of mine does GREAT work with graphics. if you want i can put you guys in touch, in the meantime here's a link to her portfolio

http://www.nicoleonline.ca

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#5 mrcraziboi1

mrcraziboi1

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

I've only ever done one website but it turned out pretty decent I don't know much about it here's the link if you want to have a look accs1.justproductions.co.uk

Don't be confused lol the background was just put on there so the person could see their design a little bit better.
If the offer is still there, I'll be happy to do you a design free of charge... mainly because I will have to find the time to do it and you may have to be patient haha

If not I hope you found what you was looking for :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graphic, design, web design, hire

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download