Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hello Want to learn to program for personal usage.

introduction c++ c# programming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SethEParker

SethEParker

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well I found this place through google.

I am looking to learn programming. I haven't programmed in probably 20 yrs. I am currently unemployeed and looking to pass some time productively while I search for work.

I want to learn Windows programming to create a few simple programs to make my daily life easier. I am also lookng to learn html/css/php as well.

Now I am going to start with my Windows program. Not sure if I should do C++ or C#. I also don't have any money to spend on this for compilers or ide's so want to do this for free.

Can i get some direction on which forum to make my next post inorder to get the ball rolling.

Thanks much for taking the time to read this.

Edited by Roger, 27 September 2013 - 07:23 PM.
tags

#2 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

I did almost the exact same thing that you are doing afew years back, except I went back to school to learn some new languages. The first language they started us off with was Visual Basic (.Net) -- which made it relatively easy to create simple apps (Windows forms) and to get back into the swing of logical thinking. Microsoft offers the Visual Studio Express IDE for free, if I remember correctly, and it includes Visual C++, Visual C#, and Visual Basic.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#3 SethEParker

SethEParker

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded that, Visual Studio Express, and it looks like it will work for me. Now to get started on the learning curve. Time to hit google and see what I can find.

#4 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Or you can always ask questions on this forum...there are a lot of very knowledgeable programmers here who have helped me tremendously! And as long as you are putting in the effort to learn, they are always willing to help you get where you want to go. 

FACEB00K Likes this.

#5 SethEParker

SethEParker

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

I had planned on asking questions here but needed to root out a foundation to start first. As I said I am at ground zero here. I need to start with Hello World and move forward.

#6 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well here are a couple of good starting points right here on Codecall: for C/C++ and for VB.net

Have fun!

FACEB00K Likes this.

#7 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well pointed by KJGino.

VS Express is the way to go, and it offers you an alternative to php (Asp/aspx). There's also a free Sql Express available from microsoft.

Check up in the forums, there's useful example programs available for you to lurk from.

#8 SethEParker

SethEParker

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well my website is hosted on a linux box so ASP is not an option. KJGino thanks for the links will look them over some.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Welcome aboard! I would start with C#, if your target is Windows apps. It's a lot easier to get GUI stuff put together than in C++.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#10 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

Welcome aboard!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction, c++, c#, programming

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download