Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Idea of Flash Drive (or SD card) Session Storage

flash drive sd card system software context session

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hello.

I have been wondering if there can be - or if there already is - a system for storing the context of a computer on a flash drive where plugging the flash drive into a computer that has such a system or program installed would launch that context.

Maybe, to explain what I mean, I should try explaining with an example:
Let's say a person has documents and files on his or her flash drive. For simplicity, let's say all the computers this person has access to have this system or software installed.
  • The person comes to a computer that is already running and logged in, and plugs in the flash drive.
  • That software on the computer reads session information from the flash drive; there isn't any information to read, so it just starts up its own file manager window where the user can browse the files of the flash drive.
  • The user double-clicks on an OpenOffice Document Text file with an important draft document, and an OpenOffice window opens. The user can work on the document.
  • During the session, the user can use that file manager window to open and edit more documents if he or she so desires.
  • When the person has to get going, he or she just unplugs the flash drive, and all the OpenOffice windows - along with the special software's file browser window - disappear (get closed).

• In a while, the person comes to a different computer (also up and running and logged in as a regular user) and plugs the flash drive in.
  • All the windows from the previous session get opened, and the user can resume work on the projects and documents.
I think it would be cool if there was something like this because that would mean being able to quickly stop and resume work on something without having to close all the OpenOffice and Notepad++ (if editing code on the flash drive) windows and ejecting the flash drive every time I want to leave, and re-opening everything again when I come back to work on things.

I was thinking of maybe writing some system like this that runs under Windows as a regular program, but first I wanted to ask here to know if anyone knows of anything similar because I didn't exactly want to work long hours on merely re-inventing the wheel. I don't know how to search for this, as I don't even know what such a thing would be called.

Does anyone know of anything like that that already exists?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
RR

#2 Vaielab

Vaielab

Programming God

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

Well, it's not completly the same, but the live cd (now on flash disk) pretty much do the same thing, except that you have to reboot the computer.

I always have a usb drive on me with a live linux on it in case I need something from a friend computer and his computer don't have all I need, or the computer is broken, or even to get one of my file.

You can now stalk me on linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.c...elle/24/b44/88/ !

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Another similar idea is portable apps on the flash drive, so the computer truly is just a "host" to run stuff, but you'd have to shut down/save or things could go bad.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flash drive, sd card, system, software, context, session

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download