Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Update Management Program

update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 SeraphiPod

SeraphiPod

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right section to be posting this topic, but please notify me if it is not. Thank you!

I've asked the same questions to different people and in some forums as well, but my problem was not satisfied. One idea did half-way solving my problem, but I think it's not the best out there.

There are programs out there such G-Cafe Management Program, but I am not able to afford the program at this time. I am not also able to guess its algorithm (which is why I'm really asking for assistance).

I have a computer cafe, and maintaining and updating files (games, applications) has been a problem for me because I have a slow internet connection and bad ISP. For the past few months, I've been updating games manually (through its autoupdating launchers or applications; client station by client station). Not only it affects my bandwidth, speed, but also gives me an option of updating the games by the end of the day (when the cafe closes).

I was thinking of the workflow below:

My server station connects to the internet and updates each application game manually. Afterwards each client station connects to the server station to collect its 

updates.

[(Server -> Internet) -> (Client -> Server)]

My friend suggested that I use repositories (SVN, Git, and etc). I don't think it's a bad idea, but it goes to show that I can't even manage versions of each game because I do not manually download patches from each games' websites.

Any suggestions?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

It's going to depend somewhat on the games you're talking about. If the games have complete installers/patchers, then you can just download the exe to your server and run from there. On the other hand, if the updater downloads files from internet in real time, it's going to be hard to work around the problem without a sophisticated solution. You can manage the files with a repository, but many of these updaters will also be modifying the registry, which could cause issues.

A completely different option would be to have a "master" computer that you keep up to date. You could then ghost an image of the drive and distribute it to your other computers. This would assume you have identical hardware on all your computers, or at least a limited amount of variety.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 SeraphiPod

SeraphiPod

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

IMO, to update a single computer and ghosting an image of a drive and distributing it to the unit stations would be a hassle (if through physical means; putting connecting outdated hard drive on the same board as the updated hard drive). But, ghosting via LAN is possible, right? But how long would that take? Especially if I have 30 units of computer?

Thanks for answering!

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's been a long time since I saw the IT staff at my old job ghosting computers (nearly a decade). I'd say it's definitely worth checking into, though.

#5 SeraphiPod

SeraphiPod

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

I have Norton Ghost 2003 here, but I haven't dove deep; I got exceptionally confused last night. I know how to ghost by touching the hard drives of two pcs, but I could not understand how the P2P works. I tried Clonezilla but I could not understand it either. Are there any tutorials that you may suggest?

Anyway, thanks!

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

I've never worked with either program, just know what others have used.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download