Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hello..

new php css html python

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#13 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

What platforms are you hoping to release games on? You may find it better to pick the platform and then learn the corresponding language.

fss_overall.png

#14 brettlee

brettlee

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Others
  • Learning:Java, PHP, JavaScript, ActionScript

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

1. It's more than that. DirectX is a multimedia library. It includes 3D graphics and sound. OpenGL + OpenAL covers 90% of the issues.

2. This means OpenGL will "always work"

3. but can have very low framerates depending on hardware.

1. I like the idea of having 3D graphics and the sound. i'm guessing I'd be able to make custom 3D graphics in Flash? The only thing I dont like about DirectX is it's only for Windows. This will result in less of a market.

2. If I develop a game, it'd be nice if it's working most of the time. I understand I'll be fixing and patching bugs a lot tho.

3. I'm not sure what this means, but it doesn't sound good.

@ben I'm in midst of deciding that.

Edited by brettlee, 19 August 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#15 brettlee

brettlee

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

1. I like the idea of having 3D graphics and the sound. i'm guessing I'd be able to make custom 3D graphics in Flash? 

Dumb question nvm.

#16 brettlee

brettlee

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

would i be dumb to learn JavaScript before Java? I could apply for a job at  http://chobots.net/j...development.php.. it's a kid game.

It'd be a good experience for me. I could then learn Java and help them with that too. This would get my name out there as a game developer, and I'd have a better idea of how games work so I can eventually build my own.. or do you think i shouldn't waste my time with javascript?

#17 birko19

birko19

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, VBScript, Others

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I've always wanted to develop a game or help someone else develop a game, and python isn't used for game developing.. I flirted with pygame before I stopped coding. I don't remember much Python however, I do remember almost all the HTML and CSS I had learned. I'm sure if I started taking the Python courses on Codecademy it would click again. After Codecademy's PHP courses, I plan on learning Java, then AS3, and possibly XML if I can find good tutorials for it.

Python is used as a scripting language in some engines/frameworks. You're aware of Pygame by now as you said, you could also try Panda3D which is a free engine built in C++ but uses Python as a scripting language.

My advice to you is don't get stuck on the language. If you can program in Python really well, you should have no major problems picking up other programming languages of the same nature such as Java, C#, VB, etc. Will there be differences? Sure, but not enough to stop you from using them and learning further.

For game development learn DirectX or OpenGL. But you will need to learn C++ or C# at first.

You don't need to learn OpenGL or DirectX to develop games. Will it help you be a better game developer? Sure, but if you're using engines like Unity for example, you can easily get away without knowing OpenGL/DirectX. Also the language is not a major issue. For someone who can master a language like Python, they should have very little problems moving to other programming languages of similar nature.

#18 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

would i be dumb to learn JavaScript before Java? I could apply for a job at  http://chobots.net/j...development.php.. it's a kid game.

It'd be a good experience for me. I could then learn Java and help them with that too. This would get my name out there as a game developer, and I'd have a better idea of how games work so I can eventually build my own.. or do you think i shouldn't waste my time with javascript?

Java and JavaScript are completely unrelated languages, which you can learn in either order. I consider JavaScript a little easier than Java.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, php, css, html, python

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download