Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Questions to assess Development / DB knowledge

programming questions development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

I'm looking to get involved with a local college to take on an apprentice.  The applicants may have completed previous programming / IT qualifications, or may have just been hobby programmers.  

I want to have a set of questions that I can use to assess their level of development knowledge, language independent preferably, and can be done orally.

It's not supposed to be a test, just to help me gauge how much work they would need to put into a particular area (and I won't be able to take a complete beginner...)

The role will be primarily

• Simple webpages (ASP.net / C#)
  • Data extraction into Excel / CSV from various sources and importing into SQL Server (not expecting knowledge of SQL Server)
  • Data analysis using T-SQL / Excel (not expecting knowledge of SQL Programming)
  • Producing Graphs / Charts using SSRS and Excel. (not expecting knowledge of SSRS)

Taking the above into consideration (e.g. I don't need low level programming, etc) these are the sort of things I'm looking at:

• Basic Programming
    • Basic data types, e.g. difference between integers / float / string
    • Use of structures, e.g. Loops, If's
    • Variable use / variables vs constants
    • Assigning values...
  • Intermediate Programming
    • Use of functions, passing data
    • Advanced data types, arrays, record sets
    • Naming conventions / documenting code
    • Input and output
  • Advanced Programming
    • this will focus primarily around OOP related stuff
    • Principles of OOP
    • What is a class
    • What is an object
    • Explain inheritance... etc
  • Understanding of Graphs
    • Axis usage
    • Data Series
    • Chart types - pie, line, etc
  • Data Storage
    • Concepts of Normalisation
    • Concepts of Key usage
    • Concepts of Indexing
  • Data manipulation
    • Calculating aggregates - Sum, Count, Avg, Running Totals
    • Data conversion - Basic to advanced (i.e. date formatting with regional considerations)
    • Data cleansing principles
  • Understanding of web stuff
    • Client vs Server processing
    • Passing information
    • CSS / HTML Basics

this is very much at the draft stage so any thoughts, comments, ideas greatly received.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#2 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Well, you are overlooking the most important fact, if you want to know how good the apprentice could be you need to observe his table behavior, sit him in a place where the table has a couple of elements and see how he re arranges it, if he doesn't then he will not be good ;)

Apart of knowledge, for an apprentice, I would go to look for proactivity, searching capabilities, reasoning capabilities,  and what would he like to learn.

It's not important how much he knows, provided the base is good, but how receptive is about new knowledge, you need somebody not passive, someone who will search for his answer before coming to you empty handed, if you get someone with the right attitude and insterests, he will for sure turn good

#3 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, (Visual) Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

I will, of course, be giving him / her the table top challenge :biggrin: 

I agree completely with everything you say, the assessment of 'attitude', determination, etc is being done by the college who will be providing the educational aspect of the apprenticeship, my role is to gauge the computer knowledge aspect of the candidates.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, questions, development

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download