Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Hello everyone! I'm new and need help

new

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yaowa

yaowa

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi guys, ive recently become very interested in programming and would love to turn this into a career. i just dont know how.

I've been doing some courses on codecademy and seem to be doing just fine.I have finished my HTML and CSS and am currently learning JS. I like the site for the most part, but it doesn't seem to go too far into detail of when to apply certain things. On the site im just fine but ive yet to find a good IDE that supports Vista which i currently use. I've heard that Sublime is a good one but i wouldnt know how to check and see if my codes will work properly once i code.

I live in Nashville and there is a promising school called Nashville Software School that i would really like to attend, however, they are impossible to contact as i have sent five emails and have yet to get a response.

This is a hobby of mine that i really enjoy, but i dont know how to make my dream of becoming a professional programmer to life. I will still practice and learn what i can form codecademy, but my main question is where do i go from there?

I've browsed this site and everyone seems to be very friendly and knowledgeable so i am sincerely hoping i can get some good advise from posters how have been in my position before.

#2 JustAlex10

JustAlex10

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript, Others
  • Learning:Java, C++, C#, Others

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi and welcome,

A great IDE you can use is Eclipse, it is totally free and very good. You have to install a little plugin named PDT. I'm using it for web development, but you can use it for almost any programming language.

Edited by JustAlex10, 23 July 2013 - 01:40 PM.

You can understand the code, but you can't understand the world.

#3 yaowa

yaowa

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hi and welcome,

A great IDE you can use is Eclipse, it is totally free and very good. You have to install a little plugin named PDT. I'm using it for web development, but you can use it for almost any programming language.

thank you! ill have to let you know how it works out for me! 

#4 Jamesx

Jamesx

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Learning:C#, Others

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hello and Welcome.

This is a list of ide's that support html, css, js, php and some even sql that will suit your needs some are free I hope you find one you like :).

http://en.wikipedia...._of_PHP_editors

#5 yaowa

yaowa

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

I ended up downloading sublime. It seems very deep, but there is so much to it that my head wants to explode. I don't even know how to layer my CSS ontop of my HTML code with this.

*sigh* I need a mentor.

#6 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Welcome to the forum.

fss_overall.png

#7 Polska

Polska

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++
  • Learning:C++

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Welcome aboard! :) 

One little correction I would like to make is that Sublime is not an IDE, but a Text Editor instead. 

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Welcome aboard!

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download