Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Need help choosing a laptop

laptop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kattoor

Kattoor

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm going to college to study 'applied informatics' (application development more specific).
As the name suggests, it's mainly about programming (java) but also some other aspects like networkmanagement etc.

I'm not sure at all what laptop I should buy, so I hope anyone could give me some feedback?

Minimum specs:
• Processor: min. Intel Core 2 
(of equivalent)
• Memory RAM: min. 4 Gigabyte
• Hard drive: min. 160 Gigabyte
• Screen size: 15,4 of 15,6 inch
(recommended)
• Wireless network adapter
• CD/DVD Reader/Writer
• VGA connection
• Operating system: you can choose (Windows,
Linux or Mac) (I don't want Mac, I think I'd go for a Windows also running Linux?)
Warning: the laptop must be able to run Linux!

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

I would go with a large hard drive if you are likely to work with databases. You can certainly set up a dual boot of Windows and Linux. Macs would pretty much force you to use a virtual machine for Linux. If you'll be running virtual machines, I would boost the RAM a LOT.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 gonerogue

gonerogue

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

About Linux on laptops, see information about many tested laptops and details on what was working and what was not working on them, at the following link

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Ideally, choose one of them which scored high.

#4 Kamiliontti

Kamiliontti

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

I myself have Lenovo G580 and it's quite decent. I also study at college and you can carry this easily around and it's not too heavy. I paid little less than 600$ (don't know how much that is in dollars). 

Check out this review I'm sure it will answer all your questions.

http://www.notebookc...ok.81260.0.html

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life."

#5 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Just get a good brand...don't buy cheap!

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#6 Kamiliontti

Kamiliontti

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Just get a good brand...don't buy cheap!

I wouldn't say "don't buy cheap" If the hardware is good enough then why care about the brand or the price? Especially the price. 

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life."

#7 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'd go with no less than 8gb ram and about 700 gb harddrive or more. Prefferably expandable ram to 16gb, but not necessary. I would install single-boot with windows or linux (the one you would be working most with) and run the other one as a virtual machine. I'd go for a intel i7 processor with hardware virtualization support.

I don't know a 15" laptop which haven't got cd/dvd and wifi. Regarding vga port, many computers have skipped vga ang have display port, hdmi or dvi these days, don't let that stop you, there are adapters to give you a vga port. With a digital port (as those three mentioned are) you can get a better quality if you connect it to a device with such support. So better to get a vga adapter for $40 extra instead of only having an ancient vga port and nothing more modern.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#8 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I wouldn't say "don't buy cheap" If the hardware is good enough then why care about the brand or the price? Especially the price. 

is the hardware good enough? How can you tell...the headline figure might look good; But with a laptop the packaging and other components are vital. For example you might have a good processor, but a ** heat sink and inadequate fans will kill your computer quickly. The quality of all the components have to be considered and you do get what you pay for.

#9 Kamiliontti

Kamiliontti

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

is the hardware good enough? How can you tell...the headline figure might look good; But with a laptop the packaging and other components are vital. For example you might have a good processor, but a ** heat sink and inadequate fans will kill your computer quickly. The quality of all the components have to be considered and you do get what you pay for.

You can always check hardware specifications or read reviews online.

#10 0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

Online review's will often only cover a period of a few days to a month. i.e I just got it and its like shiny and stuff yay... not after months of good use.

I'd listen more to the general reputation of the company than specific reviews of individual products.

My experiences of laptops is not extensive, but having had 3 cheaper ones which have all died relatively quickly (put it this way i've never had a desktop die) and having had 2 expensive laptops which are all still working. But laptop's technology has moved on since i bought those so maybe its not as much of a big deal anymore.

#11 Kamiliontti

Kamiliontti

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

Online review's will often only cover a period of a few days to a month. i.e I just got it and its like shiny and stuff yay... not after months of good use.

I'd listen more to the general reputation of the company than specific reviews of individual products.

My experiences of laptops is not extensive, but having had 3 cheaper ones which have all died relatively quickly (put it this way i've never had a desktop die) and having had 2 expensive laptops which are all still working. But laptop's technology has moved on since i bought those so maybe its not as much of a big deal anymore.

Well user reviews are usually like that. It depends on the review. It's good to watch a few reviews from different sites. I still have 3 laptops (some of them are really old) that I bought for a decent price and they still work :)

#12 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

I agree with Evan, don't buy a cheap laptop. If you're doing anything intensive on it you'll end up gradually frying it. And you can't switch out replacement parts easily like you can with a desktop, so it's gonna cost you a lot of money to repair it if something does break.

Cheap laptops are intended for people who just want something portable to check email, watch a few Youtube videos, etc. they aren't designed for anything that's going to make them work hard, and as a result, working them hard will quickly cause problems. Using them for more than a couple of hours a day counts as working them hard if you live somewhere warm, by the way.

fss_overall.png

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download