Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What are the basics needed to learn any language?

c#

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chestycougth

chestycougth

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I've been trying to learn C# for about four days now but I haven't had much luck with the various tutorials and resources I've tried because they all spoon feed me and fail to teach me anything that I can apply by myself. I'd learn just as much by following most of the tutorials I've tried if I just copy and pasted the code instead.

I've also realized that it's very difficult to learn the language (or any language for that matter - I've had moderate success with python) if I do not know the required prerequisite knowledge.  By this I mean stuff like knowing all the programming specific terms  (e.g. classes, functions, variables, etc)

So I would like to ask two things:

1) Where can I learn this sort of prerequisite knowledge? (not just programming terms but any/every other thing I haven't mentioned or anyone thinks might help.).

2) Where can I find tutorials/resources which teach me to use C# independently, so I can begin teaching myself quickly and "stand on my own two feet" as it were?

Thanks, in advance and if I manage to crack the basics then I'm sure I'll stick around.   :)

#2 CodoLogic

CodoLogic

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, VBScript
  • Learning:C++, C#, Python, Ada, Lua, Bash

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Try VB, it has the same concept, but a little different functionality. With a visual editor, you can get a feel for the code for those imaging pieces you are changing or playing with. Dive in at the shallow end. 

Welcome to Codecall ;)

If you find peoples answers helpful, like the post please or mark as best answer. ;)

#3 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, PL/SQL, Assembly
  • Learning:C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

So I would like to ask two things:

1) Where can I learn this sort of prerequisite knowledge? (not just programming terms but any/every other thing I haven't mentioned or anyone thinks might help.).

2) Where can I find tutorials/resources which teach me to use C# independently, so I can begin teaching myself quickly and "stand on my own two feet" as it were?

Thanks, in advance and if I manage to crack the basics then I'm sure I'll stick around.   :)

Ok, I gotta pull out one of my favorite books here because years of failure I picked this bad boy up and it changed my world because I've been programmer ever sinse it.

With that said 

Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science 2nd Edition

Now I know it's not C# so let me ease your mind on that.. programming languages are the biggest scam to keeping our wages high, its not like learning German then Chinese ok.. once you learn programming you'll be able to learn any language you want in less and less time like a month from python to C# once you know programming.

Your absolutely right it's these prerequisite knowledge that you need to know.. the book I suggested goes over all of that and even some intos towards the end of it that get you stated in real computer science concepts like the most basic and common algorithms that you need to know.

The book's name is clear and direct.. it's an introduction to computer sciencethat's what you need.. not an introduction to a language :D

In addition you mentioned you had some success with python.. all the better! Just use the same versions etc that are in the book.. in a months time you'll be ready for C# which IMHO doesn't have too many good books out now plus you get the mixture of .net environment which is one more thing you don't need as a beginner if you ask me personally

and visit Code Call regularly whenever you have an issue, we will assist you, you will not fail if you stay consistent and motivated.

I failed at C,C++,Java,Basic,Visual Basic, actionscript.. before I finally figured it out and then it seemed so easy, happens to most of us... welcome aboard :P

Edited by Pally, 23 June 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#4 cloud

cloud

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Programming Language:C#, PHP
  • Learning:C#, PHP

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Just practice what you've learn. Add more resources every tutorial you have learned.Dont just rely on single tutorials expand your learnings.I know you can do it..

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download