Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Starting out programming.

starting programming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lexor

lexor

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ive always been interested in computers, but recently have wanted to get into programming, I have ventured into html\php a bit before but nothing too solid, I was wondering what some good resources are for html\php programming.  Also was wondering do you need to be good at math, a lot of people ive talked to have said you need to know some math to be good at programming.

thanks for any help

#2 CodoLogic

CodoLogic

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, VBScript
  • Learning:C++, C#, Python, Ada, Lua, Bash

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

If that is all you are doing is html and php

These are all you will need. W3s is a bit out of sync with some things but it has the basics.

http://www.w3schools.com/

Php.net has everything you need to learn about php and all that is in it.

http://www.php.net

Welcome to codecall and I hope to see you posting around the place. Grab a beer from the fridge and make yourself at home. ;)

If you find peoples answers helpful, like the post please or mark as best answer. ;)

#3 SC7639

SC7639

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, (Visual) Basic, Python, JavaScript, ActionScript, Others
  • Learning:C, PHP, Python

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

I do think that to be confident with maths is important and especially algebra as most of programming is working with variables and they are a lot like algebra as they are alpha representations of values, but PHP and html are mostly just database every and retrieval using html for forms and PHP to parse(read them) and php to retrieve data from the database and html to display it

Edited by SC7639, 22 June 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#4 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, PL/SQL, Assembly
  • Learning:C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Math is not important.. It is the underlying principles of math that make a good programmer... i.e. problem solving. Good programmers are good problem solvers, and people who are good at math are generally good problem solvers.

My highest level math course is only Calculus.. but I found discrete math to be the most programming related of math courses because they will force you to solve discrete problems like...

There are two tribes who live on an island. one tribe always lies and the other tribe always tells the truth. Two people walk up to you and the first guy says "we are from the same tribe".. but the second guy says "we are from different tribes". Which guy is telling the truth and which person is lying?

Anyways have fun with that and my personal take on the math situation is don't let it scare you away from becoming a programmer because in the end computers are fairly simple in the mathematical sense.

Edited by Pally, 22 June 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#5 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I completely agree with Pally. Good problem solving skills, as well as the love of solving problems, makes the best foundation IMHO, as well as the ability to think abstractly. When you can enjoy problems that make you think on different levels at the same time, then you'll know you can enjoy programming.

There are two tribes who live on an island. one tribe always lies and the other tribe always tells the truth. Two people walk up to you and the first guy says "we are from the same tribe".. but the second guy says "we are from different tribes". Which guy is telling the truth and which person is lying?

I love this problem! I tried to solve it in my head really quick, and I don't want to give the answer away...so I will have to PM Pally to see if I got it right.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#6 lexor

lexor

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Learning:PHP

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all your guys help, I really do appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions. I think im going to check a few resources, and get started with html first , then later php. 

Also, that problem really has me stumped lol, if you can PM me the answer, I would be interested in knowing ;)

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

Whether you need to be good at math depends on your understanding of math. From my perspective ALL of programming is a branch of mathematics. Then again, I view programming as the practical implementation of a mathematical concept, so there you go :)

I would start by focusing on HTML. There are lots and lots of good resources. Then I'd go to CSS/JavaScript. Once you have those concepts down, PHP will be a lot easier.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 Pally

Pally

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, PL/SQL, Assembly
  • Learning:C++, C#, Lisp, Scheme

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:24 AM

I think math and science is everywhere around us to do good in life is to do good in some of those areas.. in computer science with the founders mainly having Physics degrees and by that I mean the top guys in their fields.. this was before computer science was even a field.. thus there math mind set rolled out into computers and programming naturally.

also math is important in the regards that computer programming could require you to work for a nuke plant.. well you better not screw up that function your writing otherwise that nukes gonna end up in the wrong spot rofl...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Pally

#9 JakeWelton

JakeWelton

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Objective-C, Python, Perl, Ruby, Visual Basic .NET, Haskell

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

I remember asking the same questions myself when i was starting out on my programming journey. Overall I personally know quite a range of programming languages now including C++ and C# for your desktop applications, HTML, PHP, CSS, MySQL and JavaScript for your website development and also Objective C and Java for your phone development (iPhone and Android) so I believe I can confidently answer your questions or at least offer my opinion.

Personally, I think HTML and PHP is a great start in order to learn programming. In terms of the complexity of the languages they are easier to understand if you have no programming experience (due to the way they process and run data) and allow you to quickly build websites within no time. If you're after a good source for learning PHP (and MySQL, they kind of come together) then there is a really really good book called "PHP 6 and MySQL 5" by Larry Ullman. You can check it out on Amazon by clicking here

Now.....down to the biggest question that I myself was asking some years ago. Do you need to be good at maths?? Well, in my opinion, No! defiantly not. I was terrible at maths in school and to be honest im not heaps better now. Please dont take that as a means of saying programming dosent involve maths because programming and maths are really the same thing. Programming just allows you to think about it differently which help me out a lot.

A lot of people also told me that you need to be good at maths in order to program, this put me off for a bit and dare i say it, scared me. However im so pleased I didn't let it bother me because programming is one of the most important and most enjoyable things in my life now.

You will do maths in programming, dont think you wont. In fact one of the first things you will do is algebra (when you start dealing with variables) but its completely different to the algebra you did in school.

In my experience website development is the least mathematical form of programming out there (and in some aspects this is a good reason for learning it first)

Hopefully I have been of some help to you,

Jake 

sig.jpg

"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes; after that, who cares?! Their a mile away and you've got their shoes!"

#10 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

As foresaid, Math is not that important, of course you  need to command the basic operations, but nothing that advanced, you can always google the formula :P

But you do need is a close fried of math which is logic, deduction, situation comprehension and problem solving.

Still, the requirements change depending of what do you want to do, one thing is game programing, and other very different is databases and websites, so... if you could be a little more specific about what's your goal we might give an even better answer

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download