Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Synapse - the Next Gen Social Network

social network web indiegogo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StasysOkunevic

StasysOkunevic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hello everybody,

I were not sure of where exactly should this be posted, therefore I assumed that this should be a suitable location. In case it's not, please accept my most sincere apologies.

I wanted to share a project that I am going to be a part of. As the description is still in progress, make sure to constantly check it in case you find the idea interesting.

Without further ado, presenting Synapse - the Next-Gen Social Network

#2 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others
  • Learning:Assembly, Others

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Can I ask what is next generation about your project?

Current Social Networks have limited functionality, therefore, even though they do appeal for the general crowd, those looking for something more specific are forced to look for alternative sources. This is a wasted potential for the existing social networks, as their profits could be so much higher. My idea does not have that limitation.

Social networks are nothing more than distribution channels for advertising, hence, why they are free to the end user -- the social networking site is doing nothing more than delivering "eyeballs" to the ad buyers. How can you increase revenue (ad rates), or profits -- without introducing a cost to the end user (which would decrease users, and thereby lower ad rates)? I ask this as a potential investor wondering what is it that you are saying that you can do that FB, Google, or even MySpace can't easily adjust to and do themselves?

Edited by KJGino, 20 June 2013 - 12:01 AM.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

It's easy to SAY that the age of facebook is coming to an end, it's a lot harder to back it up. Google+ is trying to knock it down, with limited success.

You also have a lot of buzzwords which make no sense. "Multi-platform". Sorry, but FB and G+ are multiplatform already. If you have a browser, you can access them. They even have apps for accessing them. You also talk about accessing a database, which I would expect to NOT be directly accessible by any secure system.

Target audience. Gamers? Really? You want to set up a system for flame wars and then attract general audiences? I just don't see that happening, and certainly not overthrowing FB.

I have issues with FB, like censoring of posts, an abused abuse system, etc. I don't think you're addressing any of the concerns of people who are actually dissatisfied with FB.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 Toxicshadow

Toxicshadow

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#
  • Learning:Java, C#, Lua

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

It's easy to SAY that the age of facebook is coming to an end, it's a lot harder to back it up. Google+ is trying to knock it down, with limited success.

You also have a lot of buzzwords which make no sense. "Multi-platform". Sorry, but FB and G+ are multiplatform already. If you have a browser, you can access them. They even have apps for accessing them. You also talk about accessing a database, which I would expect to NOT be directly accessible by any secure system.

Target audience. Gamers? Really? You want to set up a system for flame wars and then attract general audiences? I just don't see that happening, and certainly not overthrowing FB.

I have issues with FB, like censoring of posts, an abused abuse system, etc. I don't think you're addressing any of the concerns of people who are actually dissatisfied with FB.

I can't agree with you harder. All of my this.

Lets stop and look at this paragraph-by-paragraph.  First, it is stated that, "Current Social Networks have limited functionality, therefore, even though they do appeal for the general crowd." How so? No evidence is given; looking at a business sense, the 'appealing to a general crowd' bit is exactly what social networks want, their sole purpose is to appeal to as many people as possible. Look at Tumblr, while yes, it's somewhat specialized in that most posts are images, and thus if you can't post quality OC you'll have somewhat of a limited follower-base, it doesn't appeal to 'just' one certain culture of people; the system is designed so users may tag their posts, to certain topics. Thus, you get multiple sides of the site; you have fandoms on one end, and those god forsaken hipsters on the other  :glare:.

Anyways, it's also noted that it's, 'multi-platform,' what are you trying to implement that your theoretic competition doesn't already have? As stated by WingedPanther, if you have a browser, you can access it. Otherwise there are apps. 

Next you have two ends of a spectrum, smashed into one bundle of mess. With a target of 'gamers' you're going to attract those who think they're, "hardcore," - thus having a terrible attitude towards anyone who isn't them -, kids who think they're the biggest little shithead on the block - thus killing every braincell of anyone around them with overused, petty insults -, ignorant pricks who believe that they've dedicated years into 'gaming' just because they've played a few League matches, or claim to have bought say Minecraft while it was in invdev (A pre-alpha stage the indiegame went through a few years back) - and thus go around telling everyone else that they're wrong and that they should follow some inaccurate or misinformed information.  What's going to stop these people from telling little old grandma who just wants to check on her grandchildren, to go suck a **.

Excuse my vulgarity, but point being that the intent is near impossible to achieve.

Now, very last section it is mentioned that essentially e-sports are getting larger. I will admit, this is true in Korea. But if you're in the US/UK or similar countries, and you go up to someone whom you've just met, you aren't going to get very far telling them that you're a diamond-ranked summoner in League of Legends, or that you have an unbeatable Starcraft strategy.  It's still an unknown market to the mass population.  Even if it does evolve to be much more common, it isn't going to hit mainstream for quite some time.

Lastly, the estimated release is September of this year. No evidence as to how much progress has been made is given. Imo, this is a terrible way to announce a product. The estimate is two months away, and you're pushing for:

1. A fully functioning, professional website/forums, complete with encrypted databases and all.
  2. A cross-platform desktop app (only thing I can infer from 'multi-platform)
  3. And a near-bugless mobile app (taking into account the hardware differences between devices)

With the information given, it's simply not going to happen. You'll be lucky to get maybe one or two 'supporter' ranked investors.

Now, after that, the idea has potential, but needs to be completely reworked. Don't just give up all hopes of ever doing anything, redesign it. Get a team together and go through a software development process. Take time to fully lay everything out, as well as ideas of how to implement. Get far enough into writing the core, to announce the core. Promising a lot, with only a little support isn't the way to go about it. Anyways, good luck with this idea o:  Might prove us all wrong someday~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: social, network, web, indiegogo

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download