Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Adding new features to an operating system?

operating system os mac windows linux editing adding

Best Answer Luthfi, 01 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

You can just write ordinary Windows application to get those. No need to "rewrite" the operating system. Actually you could consider that writing applications is the same with extending the operating system features/capabilities.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scylax

Scylax

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and there are features that I'd like to add/remove. I'll list and explain the features below in case there's a way to accomplish them seperately, but basically, what I'm wanting to know is if I could somehow edit my operating system to include these features, or would I have to do something like create a new operating system from scratch( :thumbdown: )? I'd like to stick with Windows since most of the games I play are Windows-only, but if there's another OS out there that includes most of these, I'll probably just switch.

Top Nav-bar: I'd love to have a nav-bar at the top of my screen like the taskbar, but for navigation instead of telling me what's open. I could add categories to it, and take them away if needed, because I'd love to have something like Games, Programming, 3D Modeling, Tools, Misc, to have on my screen at all times so I could quickly navigate to each of those. If I clicked one of those buttons, it'd act like the show desktop button, except that each section had it's own desktop that I could move icons around on. My HP computer came with some weird slide-able desktop program on it, so I'm assuming that there's a way to program this without creating an entirely new operating system, and it'd be nice to integrate it into my current operating system if possible.

Drag programs out of taskbar to a window on the screen: I use dual monitors, and when I'm in a fullscreen game, that can come in handy. When I click on the second monitor, I can see the taskbar on top of the game, and I can also minimize/maximize programs from it onto my second monitor; however, if I try to minimize/maximize a program that was minimized while on my primary monitor, the game will still cover it, so I'd like to be able to just drag it from the taskbar to my other monitor to have it pop up there so I don't have to minimize the game I'm playing because they sometimes crash when I do that(game-related problem).

#2 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:39 AM   Best Answer

You can just write ordinary Windows application to get those. No need to "rewrite" the operating system. Actually you could consider that writing applications is the same with extending the operating system features/capabilities.

#3 Scylax

Scylax

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thanks, I wanted to know the easiest way before doing anything. You saved me tons of research  :biggrin:

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download