Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Utter novice needing help with Master's experiment

programming gambling help novice psychology

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson4

Jackson4

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'd like some advice from any programmer on here.

I'm attempting to either get someone to programme a basic tracker software or ask you if I, an absolute novice and noob could do it within a week or two.

It's all for a psychology experiment. What I need is software that will work with a slot machine simulator, tracking the losses and wins in a graph like manner. It's really basic and needs nothing more than to be able to show how many credits someone is down, or up in real time as they 'gamble'.

This isn't some dodgy gambling device it's for an experiment for my Master's and is to actually help understand addiction better.

I'd be hugely thankful for anyone with some input on this smile.gif

Possibly some money involved.

#2 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

If it doesn't require a GUI (graphical user interface), then it should be pretty simple. But then your data would be displayed in numbers.

#3 Jackson4

Jackson4

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

If it doesn't require a GUI (graphical user interface), then it should be pretty simple. But then your data would be displayed in numbers.

Thanks for providing some input.

I assume a GUI means it would be on screen? If so yeah, I need that element of it. It needs to be visible on screen like a little tracker in the corner. Would that make it hugely complicated?

Actually thinking about it, even a simple digital count of -/+ credits would suffice rather than an actual graph. But it still needs to be visible to the user. So in essence a counter would do the job and in fact might be even better.

What do you think?

#4 tmaxxcar117

tmaxxcar117

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

If you just need to track the numbers and this is a simulation, why not use excel to enter in each win/loss amount.  From there you could easily make your graph.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, gambling, help, novice, psychology

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download