Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

SEO, How come some sites can get away with bad descriptions?

seo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#13 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

An interesting experiment I accidentally conducted, once: go to a programming forum that doesn't weed out SEO idiots as spammers and watch their conversations with each other. They all talk about the value of the things their industry offers, and pat each other on the back for their wisdom and intelligence. If I were google, I'd probably create a small, stupid website, pay each of them for their best promotional package, and promptly eliminate the backlink sites from my search ranking algorithm.

It's funny, I was thinking earlier today about those annoying ads on news sites that are cast as things like "why shampoo is bad for your hair" etc. It's actually a commercial masquerading as a news article. Most SEO nonsense comes down to creating "blogs"/"facebook pages"/"twitter accounts" that just promote various products for pay. It just doesn't work well in the long run, and makes your site look shadier.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#14 CriticalError

CriticalError

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

An interesting experiment I accidentally conducted, once: go to a programming forum that doesn't weed out SEO idiots as spammers and watch their conversations with each other. They all talk about the value of the things their industry offers, and pat each other on the back for their wisdom and intelligence. If I were google, I'd probably create a small, stupid website, pay each of them for their best promotional package, and promptly eliminate the backlink sites from my search ranking algorithm.

It's funny, I was thinking earlier today about those annoying ads on news sites that are cast as things like "why shampoo is bad for your hair" etc. It's actually a commercial masquerading as a news article. Most SEO nonsense comes down to creating "blogs"/"facebook pages"/"twitter accounts" that just promote various products for pay. It just doesn't work well in the long run, and makes your site look shadier.

What do you mean by that, what is your suggestion for webmasters then? lol

#15 CodoLogic

CodoLogic

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, VBScript
  • Learning:C++, C#, Python, Ada, Lua, Bash

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

What he means is; have some intelligence and don't listen to stupid SEO people like most of the companies out there. Because what they sold you back then was gibberish. What they where actually doing was mostly spamming for you. Putting up link exchange sites, myspace pages, facebook pages, twitters, and loads of other pages for link-backs. This isn't recognised as a viable way forward when it comes to SEO promotion these days.

Search engines don't index sites like they used to, they don't rank them based off how many links they have coming back to them, (unless its relevant to the page content, not its keywords). They rank based of search patterns that match 50% for details, 30% specifics, 20% relevant keywords. All that link exchange bull doesn't rank you higher regardless what Google/SEO tells you, unless the links are related to the searched content. We are not back in the 90's any more guys. You'll be ranked well enough if your website has good karma for valuable content relating to your website's representation.

A lot of SEO has always been scammy, but it was a good market place for people to make money from "non-intellectual" people with little experience in that field. Other non legit SEO people took advantage of this market place and gave those of us who done it well and honestly a bad name, and this Is why I only do SEO for myself and close clients. Back then, who was going to argue with us when we where the ones who understood search engines and how to manipulate them?

Back then, people didn't care where their site ranked once some of these sites linking back was promoting their actual website URL at the top of the Search Listings. (Yet, then you would rank a little higher, because link exchange was used for relevancy back then.) Now its abused and search bots don't rank the same way any more because of inexperienced trolls who now call them selves SEO marketers. . . These spammers and trolls are the ones who gave SEO the bad name and bad karma it carrys with it today.

People who don't know any better about promoting online and marketing. Now a days, you need to understand that we live in a corporate and commercial world and only those paying big money will rank ahead of any of their competitors. I do agree, that if keywords are used extremely accurately, they can sometimes help, but It widely depends on how those keywords are related to each other. You can actually have as many keywords as you want, (providing they interrelate to each other). Once they relate to each other, that page won't be ignored in search terms or its index...(And not all search engines ignore pages because of it.)

My advice is to build your website, and fill it with as much related content as possible to your domain and what your website is about, be detailed and descriptive and keep building on it until you have a few hundred pages. And this is just a starting point!

You can do many keyword tests on Google, Bing, DuckDuck etc, and you will see that they will index differently. Search: " directx full screen overlay tutorial " on Google and you'll find a codecall topic by me. Irrelevant keywords are "howto", which doesn't really belong! I'm sure if we edit that topic and add more keywords relating to the typical search term above, it would have little result on its ranking. ;)

Edited by KeithAiden, 03 June 2013 - 07:28 AM.

If you find peoples answers helpful, like the post please or mark as best answer. ;)

#16 CriticalError

CriticalError

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

What he means is; have some intelligence and don't listen to stupid SEO people like most of the companies out there. Because what they sold you back then was gibberish. What they where actually doing was mostly spamming for you. Putting up link exchange sites, myspace pages, facebook pages, twitters, and loads of other pages for link-backs. This isn't recognised as a viable way forward when it comes to SEO promotion these days.

Search engines don't index sites like they used to, they don't rank them based off how many links they have coming back to them, (unless its relevant to the page content, not its keywords). They rank based of search patterns that match 50% for details, 30% specifics, 20% relevant keywords. All that link exchange bull doesn't rank you higher regardless what Google/SEO tells you, unless the links are related to the searched content. We are not back in the 90's any more guys. You'll be ranked well enough if your website has good karma for valuable content relating to your website's representation.

A lot of SEO has always been scammy, but it was a good market place for people to make money from "non-intellectual" people with little experience in that field. Other non legit SEO people took advantage of this market place and gave those of us who done it well and honestly a bad name, and this Is why I only do SEO for myself and close clients. Back then, who was going to argue with us when we where the ones who understood search engines and how to manipulate them?

Back then, people didn't care where their site ranked once some of these sites linking back was promoting their actual website URL at the top of the Search Listings. (Yet, then you would rank a little higher, because link exchange was used for relevancy back then.) Now its abused and search bots don't rank the same way any more because of inexperienced trolls who now call them selves SEO marketers. . . These spammers and trolls are the ones who gave SEO the bad name and bad karma it carrys with it today.

People who don't know any better about promoting online and marketing. Now a days, you need to understand that we live in a corporate and commercial world and only those paying big money will rank ahead of any of their competitors. I do agree, that if keywords are used extremely accurately, they can sometimes help, but It widely depends on how those keywords are related to each other. You can actually have as many keywords as you want, (providing they interrelate to each other). Once they relate to each other, that page won't be ignored in search terms or its index...(And not all search engines ignore pages because of it.)

My advice is to build your website, and fill it with as much related content as possible to your domain and what your website is about, be detailed and descriptive and keep building on it until you have a few hundred pages. And this is just a starting point!

You can do many keyword tests on Google, Bing, DuckDuck etc, and you will see that they will index differently. Search: " directx full screen overlay tutorial " on Google and you'll find a codecall topic by me. Irrelevant keywords are "howto", which doesn't really belong! I'm sure if we edit that topic and add more keywords relating to the typical search term above, it would have little result on its ranking. ;)

Good info, I already have the stuff up (100s of pages), I got a good rank by Google just followed their guidelines because I felt like it, it's relativity small website but in the months has grown dramatically but like I said in my previous post, I am getting ranked a lot now due to content, a lot of well detailed content and I am on about very hard keywords to be ranked up-on what do you think would be my position if you typed "C# If statements" in to Google? I was quite shocked I showed up on the first page, because that is well known phrase/keywords but I guess you are 100% right that it's the content they like so that's why the moved me on first page, and remember my site is quite new, only released it last year :), even basic stuff like HTML Password Field shows me on first page. 

#17 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

The one thing the SEO scammers don't want you to realize: the most important key to having a high ranking site is quality, useful information. That's the one thing they cannot help you produce, normally. That's why they're so focused on gimmicks.

Search engines mostly focus on the content a user will see, and how many people have linked to it, and how steadily that link growth is developing. Good content is what you can control. That will lead to back-link growth, which leads to good search rankings.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#18 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Lisp, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Lisp, Scheme

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

W3Schools is terrible. But the meta description doesn't even matter, google it.

Edited by Yannbane, 04 June 2013 - 05:34 AM.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download