Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

newby programmer...

beginner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FractalExistence

FractalExistence

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hello everyone! I just registered a few minutes ago and wanted to make a brief introduction before I started posting anywhere else on the forum...

I have been really interested in programming for quite a few years now, but up until recently, I hadn't ever really tried to make a serious attempt at learning/studying /practicing programming, but I've finally decided to give it my best effort and really dedicate some time to it.

As of right now I am just teaching myself using all sorts of written and video tutorials, PDF's/E-books and now this forum.

I am starting with basic web programming first (HTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc..) and I plan to eventually work my way into software programming starting with the basics and eventually on to C++ and game programming.

My ultimate goal behind learning to program is to eventually be able to program my own game(s), but I know this is not easy and not something i am going to learn in a month, so I'm prepared to be patient and master the basics first before moving on to the next step.

I'm hoping that interacting and discussing programming with real life skilled programmers on this forum and being able to ask questions when I need help will prove to be a useful and productive tool to help me with my strong desire to become a skilled programmer.

Thanks for reading my introduction to whomever does and I will see you all around the boards. :)

#2 phalax4

phalax4

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Learning:Java, JavaScript, Ruby

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

I wish the best of luck to you!

#3 Ritwik I the programmer

Ritwik I the programmer

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, Python

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

Welcome to codecall!

Which languages do you intend to use to build games?

I can believe, but why should I?

#4 FractalExistence

FractalExistence

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I intend to mainly use c++ for game programming once I get to that point, but I will probably start with something a little easier like visual basic and Java/JavaScript.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for any other languages that would be good for game programming? I'm all ears...

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Welcome Aboard!

I particularly applaud your text-hunger, reading is the way of learning, and if you could do it uninterrupted like with a paper book, in a coffee table far from interruptions from the connected world the better.

It's very good to expend some time to get the concepts before start coding, it will make the process faster.

#6 FractalExistence

FractalExistence

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thank you.

I am definitely working on getting my hands on some actual paper copies of books, but the ebooks will just have to do for now. Thanks for the tip though. I will definitely make sure to do that.

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Welcome to Codecall!

You could consider looking into Unity for your games - there's a big existing community with a lot of existing code snippets, graphics models, etc, and you can code in either JS, Boo, or C#. It can deploy to the web, standalone downloadable files, or mobile, and its supported by the Occulus Rift as well.

fss_overall.png

#8 Ritwik I the programmer

Ritwik I the programmer

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, Python

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

E-books don't just have the same flavor you know! :closedeyes:

I can believe, but why should I?

#9 FractalExistence

FractalExistence

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yeah I hear you on that one for sure. I would much rather have paper copies of the books I will be using, but. the ebooks will just have to do until I have some extra sspending money to pick up the hard coppies.

Edited by FractalExistence, 26 May 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#10 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Welcome aboard!

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#11 Jamesx

Jamesx

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Learning:C#, Others

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Welcome Aboard!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download