I finally caved in and bought a Nintendo3Ds XL. I got it for a few reasons:
1) $20 for a slightly larger screen seems like a good deal
2) backwards compatible with NintendoDS, so large game library
3) It plays a game I wanted to get (Skylanders: Giants)
4) At $200, it's the upper end of what I'm willing to pay for a pure gaming system.
5) I'm tired of consoles that wire into a TV. We use the TV for background noise while MrsPanther writes and I play games or write or whatever. We're both highly mobile in all our other devices, why be tied down on this one?
6) There are certain types of games that just don't play well on an Android device (virtual touchpads generally suck)
7) MrsPanther likes to coax me into buying stuff on the rare instances when I actually show an interest in something.
So, I see a $600 console, which costs more than my 17" laptop, and I really have to question the mindset behind getting such a beast.