Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on the XBox One

game console entertainment microsoft xbox xboxone

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#13 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I finally caved in and bought a Nintendo3Ds XL. I got it for a few reasons:
1) $20 for a slightly larger screen seems like a good deal

2) backwards compatible with NintendoDS, so large game library

3) It plays a game I wanted to get (Skylanders: Giants)

4) At $200, it's the upper end of what I'm willing to pay for a pure gaming system.

5) I'm tired of consoles that wire into a TV. We use the TV for background noise while MrsPanther writes and I play games or write or whatever. We're both highly mobile in all our other devices, why be tied down on this one?

6) There are certain types of games that just don't play well on an Android device (virtual touchpads generally suck)

7) MrsPanther likes to coax me into buying stuff on the rare instances when I actually show an interest in something.

So, I see a $600 console, which costs more than my 17" laptop, and I really have to question the mindset behind getting such a beast.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#14 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

What specs does your laptop have? I'm betting the X1 is much more powerful if the laptop was less than $600

fss_overall.png

#15 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

X1 might be more powerful, but can it run an IDE or a word processor? I don't think WP's laptop is for gaming otherwise he wouldn't have bought the DS.

#16 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others
  • Learning:Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

what need would there be for a large entertainment system to run any type of word processor other than Live email, which, with the skype implementation becomes pretty much useless as well. i don't see the need to type anything on it. even if you could.

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#17 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

I've got an Asus K73E, core i3, intel graphics, I think it's a 500MB HD with 4GB RAM. I can play Minecraft, StarCraft II, and OpenArena on it, so I'm happy :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#18 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

X1 might be more powerful, but can it run an IDE or a word processor? I don't think WP's laptop is for gaming otherwise he wouldn't have bought the DS.

Well, the comparison was that the X1 might cost more than his laptop - but it sounds like the comparison should actually be the cost of the laptop + the DS against X1.

I don't think the X1 will launch at $600, though. $500 seems like a possibility, but that didn't go over well when Sony launched the Ps3 at the price. MS also tend to subsidize their consoles quite a lot... if they can manage the $400 launch price the X360 sold for, they'll be no contest between that or most non-gaming laptops.

fss_overall.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game console, entertainment, microsoft, xbox, xboxone

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download