Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on the XBox One

game console entertainment microsoft xbox xboxone

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others
  • Learning:Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hey guys,

As most of you have probably already heard. Microsoft unveiled the latest on xbox technology, focussing mainly on "the new generation" of xbox. they've come out with a completely new concept in hopes to revolutionize how you watch T.V

Complete with the usual new games, enhanced graphics, and more processing power. they've also incorporated 3 layers of Operating systems. one of which being the Windows 8 kernel. 

So what I wanna know is the following, keeping in mind that the xbox one is going past the idea of a  gaming console to be "an all in one entertainment system":

1: Good points. what you think the xbox one will do well in, the points that interest you the most. and what you think the most popular will be.

2: bad points. let's face it. every revolutionary console will have drawbacks, and with all the features this one's got. there's bound to be a few, what do you think Microsoft will have to improve on with this new system.

3: Your general opinion about the XboxOne. do you like it? is it a bit much? or do you think microsoft will succeed in changing the way you interact with your TV.

For those who haven't yet heard the news. you can check out the released features and specs on the Xbox website! :D

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

I suppose it would be pretty cool if I were interested in getting a new console. One of these days, I'll get around to actually setting up my HD TV (still using our tube TV right now) and getting a blueray player to connect to it.

I just got a Nintendo3DS a couple days ago, so I've got "new technology", along with a couple android devices and my original Playstation :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:ActionScript

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

I watched the reveal event yesterday and despite going into it not expecting much, I actually think this could be the best new console since the PS2. It looks like a spectacular leap forward, and while the smooth presentation definitely helped with that impression, I think if the thing works as claimed (Kinect can read your pulse rate?!), and the price is reasonable, Sony may as well just cancel the PS4.

However, the name is stupid, and the console itself looks to be bigger than a VCR. Those are slight flaws, although on the plus side, we get to make all the XBlock / XBrick jokes again that the original Xbox had around it.

Bonus prediction: the new CoD Ghosts game will be one of the best selling games ever.

Edited by BenW, 22 May 2013 - 06:00 AM.

fss_overall.png

#4 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, Others

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

I watched the reveal event yesterday and despite going into it not expecting much, I actually think this could be the best new console since the PS2. It looks like a spectacular leap forward, and while the smooth presentation definitely helped with that impression, I think if the thing works as claimed (Kinect can read your pulse rate?!), and the price is reasonable, Sony may as well just cancel the PS4.

However, the name is stupid, and the console itself looks to be bigger than a VCR. Those are slight flaws, although on the plus side, we get to make all the XBlock / XBrick jokes again that the original Xbox had around it.

Bonus prediction: the new CoD Ghosts game will be one of the best selling games ever.

sounds like a safe bet :P lol, however I believe the name was supposed to reflect that the xblox was no longer just a gaming console anymore. and so the one would represent the first console to be what it is.

and I agree about the ps4. but the real question with that is. Is sony going to follow suit? or are they going to separate and keep their system a gaming console. it'd be in their best interest to stick with gaming. especially considering they can't compete with microsoft when it comes to things like their 3-tier OS. there's just no way sony can compete with the Windows 8 kernel. and that grab to home thing is pretty awesome. lol. however i think if they establish themselves as a gaming console then the ps4 might generate traffic based solely on the fact that some people don't need anything more than the gaming console. lol.

I believe in the end it'll all go down to pricing. if the ps4 is sold for less than the xboxOne they might have a shot at staying alive. but that's just my opinion.

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

#5 Rakso

Rakso

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, JavaScript
  • Learning:C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Okay personal oppinions.. 

I dont like the idea that it should replace everything in the livingroom.. When i bought my Xbox 360 for example i never bought it to listen to music or watch movies i bought it to play games. When i saw the presentation it kind of felt that its a little bit too much.. 

Games for it should be shown at E3 from what i've heard. But i think they could have shown some more game features on the actual reveal event. 

I dont like Windows 8 and the xbox being part combination of windows 8 i dont like either.. Maybe it will be a good device but i sure wont purchase it to replace anything other than my previous xbox. 

And i also want to ask.. Did anyone of you guys do this :biggrin: ?:

Xbox-Drinking-Game-2-610x863.jpg

I am a freelance web developer & web designer. I loves to make websites and would be happy to work with you.

Check out my portfolio: http://oskarmendel.me/

#6 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Okay personal oppinions.. 

I dont like the idea that it should replace everything in the livingroom.. When i bought my Xbox 360 for example i never bought it to listen to music or watch movies i bought it to play games. When i saw the presentation it kind of felt that its a little bit too much.. 

Games for it should be shown at E3 from what i've heard. But i think they could have shown some more game features on the actual reveal event. 

I dont like Windows 8 and the xbox being part combination of windows 8 i dont like either.. Maybe it will be a good device but i sure wont purchase it to replace anything other than my previous xbox. 

And i also want to ask.. Did anyone of you guys do this :biggrin: ?:

Xbox-Drinking-Game-2-610x863.jpg

that's awesome. and yeah i agree it's definitely one of those "go big or go home" moments for them. I do like the idea though, it's like putting your computer as the central hub for everything in your living room. which is kinda cool considering it's everything we've seen in tv shows and such, and tbh. it kind of reminded me of J.A.R.V.I.S from Iron Man, lol.

but that's exactly where I think sony has a chance as well. because of how different it is. and the major difference in it's main use. it can't be sold on the same platform as gaming consoles. therefore this leaves the door wide open for sony to come in with their ps4 and have it do something better than the xbox360 and sell it for less (hopefully) than the xboxOne. I might even get the ps4 if they do something about their network. (let's be honest. it may not have been free, but microsoft does have the advantage with that one)

but minor issues aside, I think the introduction of an all in one central entertainment system complete with a legit Windows kernel is the sign that the industry is about to shift. and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

or... then again, we could just be one step closer to SkyNet taking over... jus sayin :P

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think the X1 has a decent chance at being a console people want to use for everything else - because unlike other consoles that have tried to do that same thing, ti's so easy toswitch between what you want to do.

When I got a PS1 (I'm so glad that's not the new name forthe PS4) I played music on it a few times to watch the visualiser it came with, but you couldn't just switch from that to TV or to playing a game, for obvious reasons - it had one CD drive, and you had to get up and manually change everything. There was no reason to use it for music if you had a CD player, which everyone did. Even with the PS3 and the X360, the time it took to switch between stuff was a bit too long to be comfortable, and it still required you to learn the contorller buttons, ensuring that Mom can never use it.

With the voice activation and speed of the X1's task switching, everything just works. It may take time for people to get used to that, but I think it will start to be something people use a lot.

fss_overall.png

#8 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

For everyone wondering why Xbox choose to integrate everything into Xbox. It seems that they want to seamlessly integrate all technology (work, personal, fun & games) into one integrated system. For example, windows 8, win phone, and xbox all have similar UI. All big tech giants are trying to play this strategy for example Apple - they want to lock you into their Mac, iOS, ipod (iTunues), etc. Not only does this lock you in, it also attracts a bigger audience. They aren't going for hardcore gamer anymore. Instead they want one system that targets all types of audience, those who look to watching movies, listen to music, play motion control games, or hardcore FPS games. Sony, I'm not sure how they're going to compete anymore. It would be sad to see sony fall after all these years. Actually, it would be terrible if Nintendo and Sony don't do something big to complete with Microsoft otherwise there will be no competition and no competition = no innovation.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

Am I the only one wondering why you wouldn't just buy a computer and joypad, instead of this computer that calls itself a console?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#10 CodoLogic

CodoLogic

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Transact-SQL, ActionScript, VBScript
  • Learning:C++, C#, Python, Ada, Lua, Bash

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Well I personally don't see the point in it, and It looks like Microsoft need some help to come with something new and actually unique! This is practically a PC. Is it not?

What does it offer that a PC cant :thumbdown:

If you find peoples answers helpful, like the post please or mark as best answer. ;)

#11 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Am I the only one wondering why you wouldn't just buy a computer and joypad, instead of this computer that calls itself a console?

I would expect it to cost much less than a PC with similar specs.

fss_overall.png

#12 An Alien

An Alien

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Programming Language:Java
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lisp, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

A high-end gaming computer can cost more than a thousand dollars. Consoles are cheap and that's why the masses get them. And who wants to take the time to install games and go through a difficult process of constantly clicking next buttons when you can just plop in a CD in a console and be fully ready to go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game console, entertainment, microsoft, xbox, xboxone

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download