Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How to Insert [Tab] character in your post?

type tab character

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

As the title suggested, how do we insert tab characters in our post? I have tried simply pressing [Tab] key and failed (i just moved the focus). Shift+Tab simply moves the focus to prior control. Alt+Tab was intercepted by Windows, and Ctrl+Tab will be intercepted by the web browser (activate the next browser tab).

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

You can indent your posts

like this

using the "increase indent button"

in the visual editor.

If you prefer to use the UBBC editor, use

[indent=#] text here [/indent]

where # is the number of tabs you want to indent by.

Edited by BenW, 19 May 2013 - 02:11 PM.

fss_overall.png

#3 0xFACEB004

0xFACEB004

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have wondering the same thing myself.

FACEB00K Likes this.

#4 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

Hi BenW,

I have tried the indent tag, but it did not work for my purpose. First it can not inserted inside Code tags. And in automatically put the text into new line. I mean we can not indent the middle part of a line.

What I am trying to do is formatting a table. Like below.

-------------------------------------
Address                 RefCount
=====================================
john@myemail.com        2
jane@janemail.com       1
robert@robertmail.com   0

Usually I wrap these in code tags and use hard spaces to indent the fields. But lately the rich editor would remove the spaces when posting. Like you can see in my tutorial here.

Do you have recommendation what to do to get table-like formatting?

Edit:

When first posting this reply I use rich-text format, and the hard spaces work okay. The problem will appear when I use raw mode when posting. Also note the huge empty space before the table?

Edited by Luthfi, 20 May 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#5 JasonKnight

JasonKnight

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Generally anything I want to have tabs I am cutting/pasting from a real text editor, since usually it's easier to work with code there than in a HTML textarea.

Though the editor here is annoyingly broken to the point I have it blocked, though the quick reply with it blocked is disastrously broken stripping out line-breaks which is why I end up going to "more reply options" to get a page that actually works.

Part of why my posts here usually have so many blasted edits for when I forget to go to 'more' first.

As a rule of thumb I HATE fancy JS editors on forums -- I've never seen one that worked right, and for something like a programmers forums, if you can't handle using BBCode you probably shouldn't be writing code either.

Edited by JasonKnight, 20 May 2013 - 01:59 AM.

The only thing about Dreamweaver that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting it's use.

#6 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

@Jason,

Yeah. I usually did my long articles in notepad++ and then copy-paste and preview. That's why I usually work in raw mode. The problem is that lately the script behind the posting action ripped all white spaces if the post done in raw mode. That also often happening when we switch from raw mode to rich-text mode.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download