Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What are the best laptops for mobile app development?

laptop mobile development

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bissy

Bissy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hey Codecall

I'm curious as to which is probably the best laptop for mobile app development and general programming. But one that isn't too expensive, so from around £200 - £300.

Thanks alot in advance

#2 Zexanima

Zexanima

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

For mobile app development I wouldn't imagine you would need that powerful of a laptop to develop on. Something with a comfortable keyboard, of decent power, and a screen that you don't strain your eyes to read would be good. I'd suggest a cheap Asus notebook if you want to go on the inexpensive side. Any one of these would do nicely (I'm not picky though)

http://www.newegg.co...ame=14" - 14.5"

Personally I more of a Toshiba person, but they are usually slightly more expensive than Asus.

#3 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

Unless you got a real phone to debug / tests your apps on, running emulators for android are incredibly cpu intensive. The emulators improve, but still... Looking at only mobile app development I'd just get the heaviest cpu you can get :P

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Are you talking about iOS, Android, or Windows Mobile, or maybe a mixture of them? The target OS really makes a difference when answering that.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 Bissy

Bissy

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

I would probably say more Windows Mobile than any of them to be honest, hopefully that gives you enough information? Also what are the general run times for the iOS, Android and Windows Mobile emulator?

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

For Windows Mobile, unless I'm mistaken, pretty much anything that can run visual studio will work. I'd be looking for decent ram (4-8 GB), hard drive, and screen size. You do not need a massive processor unless you're going to run an emulator.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yes, emulator is the variable, although those with frozen state will bother you just the first time ( then the emulator state is saved and you don't need to go with the long and tedious android boot)

Also... eclipse is not very good for small screens,

I'm With Zexamina on the asus trademark, it's cheap and works well, have in mind the session duration of your programing marathons, think battery lasting wise.

#8 <Java>

<Java>

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

I think the new Dell devices would be very good for you. My device is Toshiba Satellite c660 & it really working very good. but both, a little bit higher than your budget. I have by my own 18 month & it costs more than £415.

May Acer price would be good for your budget :)

#9 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

I agree with Panther, get something with as much RAM as possible :)

fss_overall.png

#10 srishtimehta

srishtimehta

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Lenovo Laptops are good. They are reasonable and its screen doesn't strain your eyes. For a developer its important to take consideration on Laptops screen and keyboard should be comfortable.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download