Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How To Get Specific RecordSet From SQL Server Stored Procedure

delphi sql server recordset dbgo ado tadostoredproc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • Programming Language:PHP, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, PHP

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Overview

You who had used MS SQL Server should already know that this database engine supports stored procedures. Its stored procedures can output recordset. In fact, a stored procedure could output multiple recordset in a single call. This tutorial about MS SQL Server stored procedure should give you bit more details about this.

The question is, "how to access specific recordsets from our Delphi applications?"

TADOStoredProc

I believe most of Delphi coder would use TADOStoredProc to execute an SQL Server stored procedure. It's easy to use. Now, do you know that it has NextRecordSet method? See this page for more details about this method. I would quote the most interesting part from that page below.

Call NextRecordset in situations where multiple recordsets are returned to provide access to the second (and subsequent) recordsets. The ADO Recordset object returned by NextRecordset must be assigned to the Recordset property of an ADO dataset component, such as TADODataSet, to be accessible.

So we can call NextRecordSet and assign the returned _Recordset instance to Recordset property of a TADODataset.

Demo Project

Preparation

I decided to use the database (including the sample data and its stored procedure) from the MS SQL Server stored procedure tutorial. So make sure you read that tutorial and download the attached DDL and sample data of the database. Using the DDL and sample data script, setup a database in your SQL Server environment.

• Create a new Delphi (VCL Form) Application. Leave the project name and its main form as they were. But feel free to change them into more meaningful names if you want to.
  • Drop four TDBGrid-s into the main form. For each TDBGrid add a TLabel. Adjust and arrange them like shown in the next picture.
  • Drop a TADOConnection to the main form. It will be named ADOConnection1. Leave the name as is. Setup its connection string to properly open your SQL Server database.
  • Drop a TADOStoredProc to the main form. It will automatically named ADOStoredProc1. Set its Connection property to the ADOConnection1 which we setup earlier. Set its ProcedureName property to (without the double quotes): "ReturnMultiResultsets".
  • Drop a TDataSource next to the TADOStoredProc. It will be automatically named DataSource1. Set its DataSet property to ADOStoredProc1.
  • Set DataSource property of DBGrid1 (the first TDBGrid) to DataSource1.
  • Drop a TADODataSet to the main form. It will automatically named ADODataSet1. Arrange its place to be inside DBGrid2 (the second TDBGrid). This arrangement has no real effect, I just do this arrangement to easily show which dataset and datasource affected a DBGrid.
  • Drop a TDataSource next to ADODataSet1. It will automatically named DataSource2. Set its DataSet property to ADODataSet1.
  • Set DataSource property of DBGrid2 (the second TDBGrid) to DataSource2.
  • Drop another TADODataSet to the main form. It will automatically named ADODataSet2. Arrange its place to be inside DBGrid3 (the third TDBGrid).
  • Drop another TDataSource next to ADODataSet2. It will automaticallny named DataSource3. Set its DataSet property to ADODataSet2.
  • Set DataSource property of DBGrid3 (the third TDBGrid) to DataSource3.
  • Drop another TADODataSet to the main form. It will automatically named ADODataSet3. Arrange its place to be inside DBGrid4 (the last TDBGrid).
  • Drop another TDataSource next to ADODataSet3. It will automatically named DataSource4. Set its DataSet property to ADODataSet3.
  • Set DataSource property of DBGrid4 (the last TDBGrid) to DataSource4.
  • Drop a TBitBtn to the main form. It will automatically named BitBtn1. Give it caption of "Executed Stored Proc". Place it in the right area of the form, like shown in the next picture.

MainForm_Design001.png

Coding

• Add the following method to the main form. Note that this is the core of this tutorial.

procedure TForm1.AllocateRecordsets;
    var
      i: Integer;
    begin
      ADODataSet1.Recordset := ADOStoredProc1.NextRecordset(i);
      ADODataSet2.Recordset := ADOStoredProc1.NextRecordset(i);
      ADODataSet3.Recordset := ADOStoredProc1.NextRecordset(i);
    end;

• Double click BitBtn1. Skeleton code for its OnClick event will be generated. Use the following codes for this event handler.

procedure TForm1.BitBtn1Click(Sender: TObject);
    begin
      ADOStoredProc1.Close;
      ADOStoredProc1.Open;
      AllocateRecordsets;
    end;

Executing the Demo

When you are ready, execute the demo project by pressing F9 key. Initially you will get something like shown below. That's because the stored procedure is not yet active.

Runtime_001.png

Now click on Exec Stored Proc button. And you will get something like shown below. Note that each DB grid has been populated with proper record set.

Runtime_002.png

Source Code

And here is full source code of the demo project. Note that you need to adjust ADOConnection1's ConnectionString for the project to be able to run properly. Otherwise it will seek my SQL Server instance which should not reachable in your environment.

Attached File  Project1.zip   81.81KB   504 downloads

Cheers!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download