Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Easiest Syntax to Use ?

syntax

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZOOM

ZOOM

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

My name is Joe. I'm new to this forum and to programming. I did use Just BASIC for a while and learned some basics about programming but ended up very confused, maybe because I'm teaching myself. I am currently learning Ruby and the syntax seems okay but I'm not sure. Right now I just want to learn ANY language.

What is the easiest syntax to use? I am NOT concerned about program speed or other characteristics of the language, only learning and remembering the syntax quickly. I think learning one language completely will make learning the rest much easier. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Rakso

Rakso

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

I used to be recomending Java but after checking Python out that would be my advice for you. 

Here is an article i found about why you should use Pythond: http://www.linuxjour...om/article/3882

Python is a good first language but eventually move on and learn some other one, My choise was Java but that was after i have jumped around between C++, C# and Java for like 3 months.

Here is some resource to learn Python: http://www.python.or...gettingstarted/

Syntax shouldnt be your reason for choosing a language to learn, Ruby is fine language and if you like it then you shouldn't worry about finding languages with easier syntax.

Edited by Rakso, 23 April 2013 - 03:41 AM.

I am a freelance web developer & web designer. I loves to make websites and would be happy to work with you.

Check out my portfolio: http://oskarmendel.me/

#3 sepp2k

sepp2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I don't think it's useful to only consider the syntax when evaluating ease of use (or ease of learning, which I'd expect to be actually more important to you at this stage). In my mind semantics are much more important. Either way I think Ruby is a fine choice as a first language.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

In general, syntax isn't the issue with learning a programming language. C, VB, and Pascal, for example, have fairly different looking syntax, but they work basically the same. { means BEGIN, } means END. C and Pascal end statements with a ;, VB doesn't.

My guess is that syntax hasn't been the issue as much as how precise programming syntax is in any language. Programming requires you to be very detail-oriented.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

You may want to stick with BASIC for learning.  The name of the language is Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code - BASIC.  It will give you all the syntax and structures you need to move forward into other languages.

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#6 birko19

birko19

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

Pick one language and try to focus mostly on the problem solving rather than the syntax. Mind you, you should really learn the language well before moving to different languages.

Understand that once you become really good in one language, picking up other languages is just a matter of playing around with the syntax (Assuming the languages are not completely different like Imperative vs Functional or high level vs low level). The bigger issue is solving problems.

With that said, everyone has an opnion. I say Python is an excellent first language. But if you're learning Ruby, that's cool too. Just stick with and don't move any further until you feel comfortable enough with solving average programming problems in Ruby.

#7 ZOOM

ZOOM

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

I just realized I should learn HOW to program rather than a language. For example, how to use arrays, loops, functions. The procedures of creating a program no matter what language is being used. ( I will look into Python though ) Thanks everybody.

Edited by meangenius, 23 April 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#8 Luthfi

Luthfi

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I just realized I should learn HOW to program rather than a language. For example, how to use arrays, loops, functions. The procedures of creating a program no matter what language is being used. ( I will look into Python though ) Thanks everybody.

Lol, yeah you should learn HOW to program. But to achieve that you need to learn a (programming) language. :)

Personally I would recommend Pascal as programming language with the easiest syntax. Its syntax is so close with ordinary english sentences. In fact, it was created to be tool to teach programming. That's why it's so easy. However, I have to admit I can not compare it with Phyton since I have never used it.

#9 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think you could stick to "new basic", namely .NET, there you can program in Visual Basic .NET which syntax is based on good old basic, and also ASP.NET which is a web page programing language also based in basic's syntax.

you also have VBA which is visual basic script for office documents, so... if you want to take advantage of your previous knowledge that would be the way to go.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download