Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Ruby For Starters (20 mins) EASY!

ruby learn easy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 rk0r

rk0r

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hi

RUBY for starters http://www.ruby-lang...ion/quickstart/

It may look a little childish but stick with it and you will learn! - I went through it and found it to be a good introduction thats spurred me to pass the link on and learn more!.

If you have any good tutorials or links like the above post them here, i will be at the ready to read and digest some code biscuits. :)

#2 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

For a side project, I'm looking at Ruby right now by following: https://www.edx.org/...013_Spring/info

The course suggests the following resources. I tried tryruby.org and it's pretty cool.

Ruby:

• tryruby.org (beginner)
  • rubymonk.com (beginner/intermediate)
  • rubykoans.com (intermediate/advanced)

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#3 rk0r

rk0r

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

For a side project, I'm looking at Ruby right now by following: https://www.edx.org/...013_Spring/info

The course suggests the following resources. I tried tryruby.org and it's pretty cool.

Ruby:

• tryruby.org (beginner)
  • rubymonk.com (beginner/intermediate)
  • rubykoans.com (intermediate/advanced)

Cheers for those links, i noticed that the Ruby threads were looking pretty outdated and though nobody would reply to this new thread.
I noticed that  " code school" have created a "rails for zombies" website that gets people involved in a different way by incorperating a zombie theme to learn how to use Ruby on Rails. http://railsforzombies.org

Ill be setting towards the Rubymonk next, its just difficult to have motivation when nobody is on the same level as you..  if you learn anything worth looking at please post here, this thread could end up as a meca for newbies ! haha

#4 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Will do! I'm just going through the lectures and doing the h/w + programming assignments. My coworker told me that he went through the class and learned a lot, so I'm just following his footsteps.

I might tackle Rubymonk later this week. Like you, it's hard to get motivated, but I've set goal for weekly progress, just to move things forward. I am signed up for a few EdX and Coursera courses that start in April, so want to dust off my programming gloves. :P

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 rk0r

rk0r

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Will do! I'm just going through the lectures and doing the h/w + programming assignments. My coworker told me that he went through the class and learned a lot, so I'm just following his footsteps.

I might tackle Rubymonk later this week. Like you, it's hard to get motivated, but I've set goal for weekly progress, just to move things forward. I am signed up for a few EdX and Coursera courses that start in April, so want to dust off my programming gloves. :P

Good luck with the h/w - programming assignments !

I have just installed Ruby on Ubuntu 12.10  - its not the easiest thing to do, even though there are plenty of tutorials its never strait forward. Regardless of being overloaded with various installs i have managed to get it working within terminal. If you need any information installing on Ubuntu just drop us a note and ill try my best. Im going to give the rubymonk a go sometime this week also, i just finding it difficult to fit in with my job ( nights and days ) haha " the real world " .

BTW: check out https://koding.com its an online dev tool worth checking out since they have ruby on rails to play about with.

#6 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks!

Another good reason to follow the class is that they provide you with a pre-configured VM (VirtualBox), so you can jump right in without worrying about the setup. :)

#7 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

rk0r...

Thank you for the link to rails for zombies. I was looking for fun to follow material for my two youngest boys (I homeschool, and they code somewhat already). I think they might enjoy this!

#8 rk0r

rk0r

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

rk0r...

Thank you for the link to rails for zombies. I was looking for fun to follow material for my two youngest boys (I homeschool, and they code somewhat already). I think they might enjoy this!

No Problem.. its a good start for "Ruby on rails", im going to try and wrap my head around " Ruby" just for now then i can use my ninja skills on those flesh eating munchkins.

So Rubymonk is giving me a hard time telling me "no ramen noodles for you" and " there is a new low record!" but im getting there slowly..

Does anyone know more about "string interpolation" ? -

#9 sepp2k

sepp2k

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

Does anyone know more about "string interpolation" ? -

More than what it says on the ruby monks page? I don't think there really is any more than that. Well, if the expression in #{} returns something other than a string, it will use the to_s method to convert it to a string. Oh and you can use #{} inside regular expressions, too - not just in strings. That's all I can think of.