Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      16 Apr
    Kadence

If you're reading this, you're on my profile and I know you're on my profile because I'm probably viewing yours.

Show comments (6)
  • Photo
      10 Apr
    Poe

Finally (and hopefully) i'm getting a team together that knows a little of this and a little of that; and maybe all my open source projects that are half written can begin to be released. :)

View All Updates
Photo
- - - - -

Text editors

editor text programming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Which text editors do you prefer for coding?

I've used Gedit and Geany, but I'm looking for something new now.

I don't like Geany because it has bugs, and some redundant features (it's more like an IDE than an editor). Gedit just doesn't have the features I'm looking for.

Those features include:

• Light weight
  • Block collapsing
  • Syntax highlighting for all popular languages
  • Split-screen
  • Custumizability
We're talking Linux or cross-platform here, Notepad++ and IDE users need not apply.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

#2 Evan

Evan

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

You tried JEdit? written in Java so cross-platform; but to to bad.<br /><br />Vim -g ? don't think it has Block collapsing or to much customisations. But its pretty powerful as an editor.

Creating SEGFAULTs since 1995.

#3 Harold

Harold

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Did you tried Eclipse.. Check it out on the cloudnet so that you can find it out if its work out for those features you are seeking

#4 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

You tried JEdit? written in Java so cross-platform; but to to bad.<br /><br />Vim -g ? don't think it has Block collapsing or to much customisations. But its pretty powerful as an editor.

I don't have time to get into Vim, but maybe later. I hear it is the most custumizable of editors, and it definitely has block collapsing functionality, through plugins at least.

Did you tried Eclipse.. Check it out on the cloudnet so that you can find it out if its work out for those features you are seeking

No. IDEs are horrible, and Eclipse is the worst one of them.

My blog: yannbane.com. I post about programming, game development, and artificial intelligence.

#5 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

When I program, I use VS2012.  But there are times when I need to do some things that VS can't handle.  Then I use NotePad++

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#6 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Before i started using vim, i used to use kate/kwrite. Not sure how different it is from geany though..

#7 rdm

rdm

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

In my opinion Vim is the best choice. Believe me, it won't take a while before you can work even with a basic knowledge of this powerful tool.

#8 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

try Komodo edit. from what i've read of your requirements. it's a prime candidate, and it's available on Linux! i've provided a link to it's download site where you can read up on it and decide for yourself whether you'd like to give it a try. best of all. IT'S FREE! :D 

site: http://www.activesta...o-ide/downloads

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#9 rdm

rdm

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

try Komodo edit

Yes, but it's only for scripting languages. I think Yannbane is looking for something more general.

#10 KodeKool

KodeKool

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

it's not just for scripting languages at all. i use it for every type of development i do now whether it's programming or basic HTML/CSS.

~A program will always do what you tell it to do, and seldom what you want it to do~

Check out my latest PHP tutorial

#11 Yannbane

Yannbane

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

In my opinion Vim is the best choice. Believe me, it won't take a while before you can work even with a basic knowledge of this powerful tool.

Uses C language: check
Seems to be a Vim fanatic: check
Three repeating consonants as a username: check

...Do you post on /g/?

Just kidding. As I've said, I might get into Vim, but it's not the time for that. I can't simply switch to it as my main editor, I first need to get a better, uhm, more graphical one as my main editor, and then I can start experimenting.

Komodo edit, Sublime Text 2, Kate, Kwrite... I have a lot of them to check out, and I'll start tomorrow, when this project will finally be finished

Edited by Yannbane, 07 March 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#12 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 16,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Before i started using vim, i used to use kate/kwrite. Not sure how different it is from geany though..

I use vim as my backup when dealing with massively huge error logs (data migrations that fail spectacularly). geany does some really handy stuff with source code, like dynamically identifying methods in classes, functions, etc based on the syntax of the language it auto-detects. jEdit has some really nice indentation-based code folding that helps a lot, too.

I can use vi, barely. I've never taken the time to become a vim power-user, though I keep thinking I should, and even installed it on my android tablet :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog