Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
Photo
- - - - -

Link Domain Name to Website on Server Windows / IIS

iis windows server website domain name

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Hi,

I'm sure this is a fairly basic request, but I'm struggling to find the answer (I'm a developer not an administrator!!).

I have a server with IP address 123.45.67.891 (not actual address)

On the server I have an ASP.net website http://123.45.67.891/MyNiceWebSite/

I also have a domain name: www.MyDomainName.co.uk

How do I set it up so that www.MyDomainName.co.uk goes to http://123.45.67.891/MyNiceWebSite/

I think I need to do some changes to the DNS for the domain name, but I can't find out exactly what to change and what to.

Server is Windows 2008 r2 with IIS7, I have access to Advanced DNS set up for the domain name...

Any help much appreciated!

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#2 WingedPanther

WingedPanther

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 16,993 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

You would register the Domain name www.MyDomainName.co.uk as going to 123.45.67.891. Then your website would be http://123.45.67891/MyNiceWebSite/

You could put a redirect on http://123.45.67.891 to http://123.45.67891/MyNiceWebSite/ for ease of use :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Is it a server you've set up and plugged in yourself, or is it a hosting account with a company? The steps are slightly different depending on exactly where the hosting is (the more of the setup is yours, the more work you need to do).

fss_overall.png

#4 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the replies.

You would register the Domain name www.MyDomainName.co.uk as going to 123.45.67.891. 

That's the bit I'm struggling with.

Ben, it's a hosted Virtual Server.  I have a registered domain name but it's how do I point it at the server (before I've always used hosted websites, not had a dedicated server), server and domain are with the same provider.

Thanks, Graham

#5 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Your host can probably tell you much more clearly than me, but you'll need to find out your nameservers and put those in the domain name DNS options. Unless the host expects you to run your own nameservers, they'll usually be something along the lines of ns1.hostname.com, and ns2.hostname.com, and the host themselves will have some option in a control panel somewhere to link the domain name you're using to your virtual server.

It's trickier if you need to run your own nameservers, but most hosts won't make you do that. I'd bet there's something buried in an FAQ somewhere on the host's site about what nameservers to use :)

fss_overall.png

#6 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

Thanks Ben,

Been digging around in the FAQ's since Monday... I think I'll raise a support ticket with them (was trying to avoid that).  There is an option to create nameservers, but I don't think I need to do that.  With there domain name there are several options, e.g. forwarding, DNS, etc.  Thought I had to forward at first, but you can't do that to an IP address, just to another domain name...

I will bite the bullet and raise a support ticket.

Thanks again, Graham

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Forwarding is just redirection, that's not what you want. DNS is where you should be looking. But, you need the nameservers to put in the boxes it will give you before you can do anything there.

If you didn't mind posting the link to the host site, plus a screenshot of the domain control panel, I could probably figure it out, though a support ticket with them may be quicker since I'm about to go out. The only reason I'm so shaky on this is because I haven't needed to set up a new domain in ages.

fss_overall.png

#8 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for the offer.  I'll try the support and see how it goes, good chance to see how good the support is.  Depending on the result I may be back to take up your offer!

Regards, Graham

#9 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

If they can't help you out in one response you may be with the wrong host :laugh: Once you have all the information, it's pretty simple to do. The problem is that so many hosts hide it away! You'd think it would save them support ticket time if they made it obvious, but nope :biggrin:

fss_overall.png

#10 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

I'll let you know, I'll either be very happy, or very annoyed within the next hour or so  :biggrin:

#11 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hmmm....

I understand that you want to point your domain xxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk to your new Virtual Server.

It doesn't look like you have the Plesk Control Panel, so you can either:

1) Point all of your A records (mail, www, blank, webmail) etc from the Advanced DNS section of your control panel to your
Virtual Server IP address (nnn.nnn.nn.nnn). However, you must ensure that you have logged into your server via RDP and configure the DNS within Windows DNS Server too.

2) Set up nameservers and Glue Records within your control panel for your server, which means it will entirely go by the Windows
DNS Server and the Advanced DNS in your account would be irrelevant.  Again, you would need to configure all the records (www, blank, mail, etc) within Windows DNS Server.

Unfortunately as you don't have Plesk and your Virtual Server is a self-managed solution, we cannot assist with the configuration on
the server itself for either option using Windows DNS Server, however we can assist with making the changes in your account once configured.

Alternatively, if you're unsure you could look into using the Plesk Control Panel. In which case, the DNS would be set up already and you
could just set up the nameservers and Glue Records.

I understand the first part of option 1, do you have a link to an explanation of configuring the Windows DNS?

Thanks again.

#12 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

UPDATE:

I have now got it working!  Added an A record with the IP address and it works for the website... will probably be back for help with the email!!!!

Cheers, Graham