Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Binpress - Cut your development time and costs in half
Photo
- - - - -

How's your Keyboard

hardware keyboards peripherals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 LBProgrammer

LBProgrammer

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Time for a new input device! I have been hammering away at this left over Dell keyboard from an old company for a couple of years now and its time for an upgrade. There are hundreds of brands, and a million reviews so it's hard to differentiate what's good and what's not.

What are some makes and models of the keyboards you are using? What do you like best what do you like least?

Cheers,

SFP

Edited by SFProgrammer, 28 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Would ya just watch the hair. Ya know, I work on my hair a long time and you hit it.

#2 psepheroth

psepheroth

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm using the default Apple keyboard for almost 10 years now. The shortcut keys are much swift-er with Apple-W to close window and Apple-Q to quit apps, etc. It's swifter for me compared to CTRL-w.
Aside from that, I'm actually thinking of buying Razor keyboard.

Edited by psepheroth, 28 January 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#3 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

I use, and have done for ages, bog standard HP wired keyboard. No fancy stuff at all but very responsive and comfortable to type on with nice feel to the keys, and last for ages. Tried several newer, and 'better' but still go back to these ones (I can type 'properly' so speed and feel influence my choice more than gadgets...)
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#4 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I personally love my razor keyboard. Feels very mechanical and I like the sound it makes when I type. The macro keys are pretty awesome as well and I use them quite a lot. I program mainly in C++ so I have made a macro that does for example a for loop structure and so on. They are quite expensive though.

Edited by lintwurm, 29 January 2013 - 01:19 AM.

No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#5 LBProgrammer

LBProgrammer

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

The Razer Black Widow looks pretty cool. 10 key and being mechanical are definitely something I'm looking for.

give this one a shot and see how my fingers feel about it :]

Cheers,

SFP
Would ya just watch the hair. Ya know, I work on my hair a long time and you hit it.

#6 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

My current keyboard is the dirtiest thing in the world, you can see the dust all around it.

It happened 2 days ago when my actual keyboard stopped working (due to some liquid that fell on it :P)

I dissarmed it,cleaned, but a couple of letters doesn't seem to work so I went to a very dark, dirty corner where i have a box with "old things" and picked up this keyboard... time hasn't passed kindly and it got fuuuuuuuull of dust.

But... if I clean it I could mess it up just like the first one I thought, so I just did some dry and superficial cliean up, so you can still see the dust between keys... I wasn't home last two days so.. I didn't replace it yet...

But, eeeeew, this is certainly one ugly keyboard .

#7 lintwurm

lintwurm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Send us a screenshot! And I'm guessing coffee happened to the last one? I worked in a server room a while back that had 1 window... No aircon or anything. EVERYTHING was dusty except for my chair. My sinuses would act up so bad in that place, so I decided it would be better just remoting into the server from the room next door :D Life was so simple back then...

No harm was done to the world in sending this message, but a few million electrons have been SERIOUSLY inconvenienced...

#8 bason

bason

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Great discussion, I'm also having a hard time looking for a good quality keyboard. The last time I buy a keyboard it easy get broken and not a good quality.

#9 psepheroth

psepheroth

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Great discussion, I'm also having a hard time looking for a good quality keyboard. The last time I buy a keyboard it easy get broken and not a good quality.

did you type using hammer?  :P

#10 LBProgrammer

LBProgrammer

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

On my adventure for a new keyboard my buddy gave me one of those Microsoft ergonomic keyboards. its like a 100$ keyboard and the space bar wouldn't depress and the "a" key kept falling off. there are some crappy keys out there. I got the Razer keyboard and I gotta say its pretty nice. Great response and the feel of the keys is familiar and comfortable. Nice clicky sounds and backlit keys make it pretty the macros give it some power. Definitely give the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate a +1

http://www.razerzone...-ultimate-2013/

Cheers,

SFP

#11 Barnsite

Barnsite

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

On my adventure for a new keyboard my buddy gave me one of those Microsoft ergonomic keyboards. its like a 100$ keyboard and the space bar wouldn't depress and the "a" key kept falling off.

I got given an MS ergonomic keyboard, didn't take long for me to realise why it was given away... so that's +1 for not getting an MS ergonomic (or should that be -1)

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

#12 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

I've considered buying a Razer for quite some time now. I don't do a whole lot of gaming, which I know is their target audience. But how does it perform for long stretches of coding?

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid