Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Advices about web designing and other stuff

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hello everyone.
Im new in community and programming. I like programming and graphic so i would like to work like web disigner or something similar. I dont know any program language so i need advice with what language i should start? I borrowed today book about C++ ''C ++Analysis and Application''. Should i start with c++ or something else?

#2 grisha

grisha

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hello there.

If you want to be a web-designer, start reading about Photoshop ;) If you want to be a "webmaster" or "webdeveloper" (synonymous) start learning HTML5, and Javascript). After that add some PHP or perhaps ASP.NET MVC.

C++ is a low level language that's closely related to the hardware itself.

The point of start depends on the point you want to reach my friend ;)

#3 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

i still not sure what i want do in IT... I'm interested in software thats what i know :) im not big fan of hardware but i also want to know some general things about it. I like graphic, I have some experience with photoshop cs3/4/5... basic things and maybe something advanced but not too much... I would like to make my own things programs and something nice... I dont know lot of about IT jobs because IT in my country is not very valued.

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you want to do web design, I would start by learning HTML. Javascript and PHP would be the logical next steps. You can do a lot of web design without knowing graphics, but many people approach it from a graphics perspective instead.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Which country are you from?
If you are a 100% into graphics, maybe you should learn action script to make flash pages and games instead of learning regular web development.
That if you want your programing be focused in design, motion and beauty.

#6 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Im from croatia. I still didnt decide where i will focus my programming xD i only know that im interested in programming :)

#7 grisha

grisha

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

So there's a long way for you full of trying different scenarios and gallons of coffee ;) Web development is quite good for a start (easy transition from HTML to XML) - try that, and if you dislike it, move along to another field of programming ;)

What's important when starting to code is to learn two basic methodologies - procedural / functional style, and object oriented programming. Creating HTML pages does not require any of them until you get to Javascript. Start from learning such basic stuff ;)

#8 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

what languages do u need to know if u want work like software developer?

#9 grisha

grisha

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

"Software developer / engineer" is a quite wide term covering many engineering aspects (such as design patterns, algorithms etc.). You pick a language that allows you preform tasks of certain kind. For example PHP in conjunction with HTML and Javascript is a powerful tool for web based applications. When it comes to fast data processing, a scripting language such as PHP won't give you the performance you need in order to process large chunks of data in a very short time.

If you decide to pick up PHP - you have at least two ways - be a front-end developer (much more HTML + JS + CSS knowledge), or a back-end developer - here you (ideally) don't mess with the user interface, but focus more on things like exchanging information between different WebServices (for example warehouse back-end for a ecommerce site), or develop / optimize code used by front-end developers.

Each language has certain applications, read more about them and when a sparkle of inspiration shines inside your brain - DO IT ;)

#10 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Now i see that i didnt asked most important question :) How i can learn language properly? reading books about language or somehow else?

#11 grisha

grisha

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Everyone learns differently.

I like to read books or websites and make my own notes about certain details that appear interesting to me - and memorize them, like in school.
Every time I learn about a language feature I write some code to explore the field and check how it behaves. Its a slow process, but I think it's very effective since after that you have much deeper understanding of the language and its behaviours rather than bare knowledge that will be forgotten in the next few days.

When choosing a book, check if it contains some practical tasks at the end of each chapter, those help a lot :)

OH, and of course the language reference manual itself - plain, detailed information an specifications.

There's an old rule in programming: "Read the manual first" ;)

Edited by grisha, 27 January 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#12 PhysoTronic

PhysoTronic

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Hmm my enliglish is not soo good, so i need to ask u want does this mean; language reference manual itself - plain, detailed information an specifications

I have manual in program etc c++ ? or u was thinking on some other kind of manual?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download