Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for people who can program in assembly?

assembly programming operating systems drivers animation bootloaders desktop hiring joining sounds and images

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrudrum250

mrudrum250

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi,
My name is Mark Rudrum. I really, really want to make a operating system but I don't really know where to start, and can't do it on my own. I know how to do a basic boot loader as they're are tutorials all over the net, and I also know how to compile it (NASM) and run it. I have come to these forums because I need people who can help me make my OS. Yes, you may have better things to be doing but then if the OS is successfully, we can sell it and then I can share out all the money, (if it is successful so there's some prophet there, and usually you make a lot of money with developing a Operating System. I mean - For all you know it could turn out to be the next popular, more preferred friendly-environmented operating system over windows or Linux.

The OS is called ThunderBird, and already has a logo, and soon animation. The OS will also appear on Tablets, mobiles as I will be installing a tablet version if the OS on a unbranded Tablet from aliexpress.com. I have some questions below I would really appreciate answered ----

----------
If I have a animation for my OS, How can I make it play the animation when booting the Operating System?

What other languages are compatible with making a Operating System, and if any, what will they be used for? (Parts in making the Operating System).

How long does it roughly take to make a Operating System?

How will I make a SDK for it, and programming language to develop apps for the Operating System?

Where do I keep all the files such as; Drivers, animations, images and photo's, Licenses and Terms and conditions/Agreements, OS kernel and so on?

What programming language will I use to make a app store for it or some type of market so develops can put up their applications and games to run on the OS?

----
If you can help with the OS reply to this topic, and yeah... also all work is voluntary but as I explained I will share ALL money which is made with anyone who helps!

#2 speculatius

speculatius

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

I do not want to demotivate anyone, but it looks like lot of effort to me :) For the beginning you can play with linuxfromscratch to get some feeling about how OS works. You can install it in virtual machine so that you dont risk your computer :)

Edited by speculatius, 17 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Very helpful: http://www.osdever.net/tutorials/

Also, don't test your OS on your machine. Use Bochs instead, much safer and much more suited to this sort of thing.

Edited by dargueta, 22 January 2013 - 10:57 AM.

sudo rm -rf / && echo $'Sanitize your inputs!'

#4 charles-eng

charles-eng

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hi I can program in assembly and I would be willing to help you; but you could use some "adult supervision", namely Dargueta

#5 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hahaha :)

It's a lot of work, but it's fun. I'm currently writing my own OS, so I can specifically help you through things.

#6 charles-eng

charles-eng

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, feels like i still have to read some more before I start coding an OS...

#7 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, quite a bit. First, you have to lay out your goals in detail. I also don't think most of the usual bootloader tutorials will help you because those are for Intel-based systems, and mobile devices don't usually even run Intel processors, nor have a BIOS that provides the necessary functionality (at least in a compatible way) to boot as you'd expect from those tutorials.

Also, tablets and mobiles are two very different things.

Edited by dargueta, 23 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#8 charles-eng

charles-eng

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, quite a bit. First, you have to lay out your goals in detail. I also don't think most of the usual bootloader tutorials will help you because those are for Intel-based systems, and mobile devices don't usually even run Intel processors, nor have a BIOS that provides the necessary functionality (at least in a compatible way) to boot as you'd expect from those tutorials.

Also, tablets and mobiles are two very different things.

Yep, the guy that wants to create this mobile/tablet OS is facing some pretty serious stuff. I on the other hand, would be happy writing a PC Operating system.

#9 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

That's what I'm doing, and that's what I recommend Mark to do as well.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download