Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

[SOLVED] Auto -show "edited post" when user edits their post?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#13 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

So for new members, they have 2 days for edits. This is so they can update they initial post with legitimate updates if necessary. However, if they decide to come back in 2+ days to wipe out their topic, they'd be blocked from editing. For those who posts and then deletes their post immediately after it's solved, I generally just block them from further posting on the site. I think member who don't care about how forums are run are more trouble in the long run.

My board has a 45 minute time limit so if they solve something in less than a day, they can't edit their post. They have to post about it. Just throwing it out there :)

#14 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Isn't 45 minutes quite short? So the goal is to get them to post on top of their post?

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#15 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

For those who posts and then deletes their post immediately after it's solved, I generally just block them from further posting on the site.

I tend to reply to the thread or send a PM. Have I been talking to myself? :laugh:

fss_overall.png

#16 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Isn't 45 minutes quite short? So the goal is to get them to post on top of their post?

Not at all. We have a 45 minute limit to eliminate all misunderstandings of any sort (and we also don;t want people removing things they mentioned previously or regret) like in the post i described above.
I would rather have the OP post to the thread again after he made a change to his code/question rather than edit a previous post which *will* confuse members new to the thread and followers alike. (Since the (new) questions/code and (old) answers don't make any sense anymore?)
Also, we used to have a plugin which would merge double posts with a "merged double post" tag.

#17 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Double posts in a short space of time here are merged, but without any sort of tag on them. I'm not sure on the time limit though.

fss_overall.png

#18 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

BenW, what i meant was that after the time limit was up, the member could no longer edit his/her post. So in order to not have double posts, the merge came into play.
(It would merge either way though)

#19 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I tend to reply to the thread or send a PM. Have I been talking to myself? :laugh:

I do this rarely, so it's unlikely you've replied to the same person. I've done this maybe once he's you've been here. Unless we do it at the exact same time (not likely), it probably won't happen.

BenW, what i meant was that after the time limit was up, the member could no longer edit his/her post. So in order to not have double posts, the merge came into play.
(It would merge either way though)

Regarding time restriction for edits, I think 45 minutes is too short. Doing 45 mins, I have a feeling mods will start getting support emails on why someone can't edit their posts, which produces unnecessary work. I'll set it to something lower, like 6 hours, so that if someone reviews their post and finds an error, they can edit it for clarity.

I also found the "Allow user to remove 'Edited by' legend?" option, which I'll set to "show" by default for all users, so edits will show all the time to avoid confusion. Can you try it out to make sure it's enforced?

Updated membership table:
cc member tiers v3.PNG

Last thing, when someone double posts within a period of time, our board will merge them into the same post. The only thing is that it doesn't add a delimiter/separator between the posts like vBulletin.

Edited by Roger, 15 December 2012 - 08:46 AM.
added links

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#20 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Testing for edit legends.
This is an edit:
Alrighty Roger! It works :)

Edited by neil, 15 December 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#21 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Does it require you to have edit (a checked box that's unremovable)? Or did it remove the option to check/uncheck it?

#22 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Testing yet again
Edit:
I used the simple editor and it worked (there usually is no edit field)
Here, i'm checking using the advanced editor. And yes! there is no edit box anymore. This'll keep people from unchecking it :)

Edited by neil, 15 December 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#23 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Nice! Thanks for checking! I think we're all good to go on this item.

#24 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Sweet, thanks Roger!

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download