Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

[SOLVED] Auto -show "edited post" when user edits their post?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

We don't want any confusion over posts like this one:
http://forum.codecal...se/#entry647248
followed by
http://forum.codecal...se/#entry647252

I know VBulletin has this feature, don't know if IPB does though.
There is an option for the user to manually specify this at edit-time. But new forum users might not see how this will help..

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

This is just about timing. You were editing your post while I was posting a reply, so I didn't see your edit yet.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Another way is to quote the relevant section in your response. This way, if they edit but don't mark "edited by", the original text is preserved. Might be more work than it's worth, though.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#4 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

@greg, I was talking about ErtanTaboo editing his code in a previous post, but never mind ^^
@Roger, yep..

#5 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Quoting is also useful when some members "delete" their post body after they've been helped, which renders the topic thread useless for subsequent visitors. If the response includes some bits of the original question, then visitors can still make sense of the discussion.

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#6 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

I see what you mean, Neil. I think under the old system it used to append "Edited by" automatically when a post was edited.

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#7 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quoting is also useful when some members "delete" their post body after they've been helped, which renders the topic thread useless for subsequent visitors. If the response includes some bits of the original question, then visitors can still make sense of the discussion.

I shall quote every reply now :nervous:

#8 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

I shall quote every reply now :nervous:

Please don't quote huge blocks, though. I think it's annoying when a reply has the whole original post included. Just quote the relevant parts.

I see what you mean, Neil. I think under the old system it used to append "Edited by" automatically when a post was edited.

Yes, for vBulletin, all edits after a certain time limit will get "edited by". Some on the IPBoard forum have asked for this, but it hasn't been taken up by any mod authors.

Edited by Roger, 13 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#9 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Can we alter the edit box so that the 'show edited by' box is checked by default? That would pretty much solve the problem.

fss_overall.png

#10 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I suppose we could. But should we? Is this a prevalent problem? Or just once in a while situation.

#11 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't see it as a huge problem. I normally only edit for grammar/clarity, but if I do change the content of my message, I place "EDIT:" at the end manually. Still, others aren't in that habit, and it might be useful on occasion if somebody edits their post after another user has replied to them. It's not a common problem, but it does occasionally happen. The auto edit flag would serve as an indicator of these events.

Edit: What really bugs me, though, is when somebody posts a question, then edits and redacts their question if they solve it themselves. Would be much more helpful if they left their question and posted how they solved it.

ti-99-sig.png

#12 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Edit: What really bugs me, though, is when somebody posts a question, then edits and redacts their question if they solve it themselves. Would be much more helpful if they left their question and posted how they solved it.

I agree with you. That's why we added a time limit for editing one's own topics. It's different for each member group. I figured that this is more of a newer member problem, since they probably don't know how forums run.

So for new members, they have 2 days for edits. This is so they can update they initial post with legitimate updates if necessary. However, if they decide to come back in 2+ days to wipe out their topic, they'd be blocked from editing. For those who posts and then deletes their post immediately after it's solved, I generally just block them from further posting on the site. I think member who don't care about how forums are run are more trouble in the long run.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download