Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Continuous streaming to audio clips.

broadcast streaming unicast stream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roman Y

Roman Y

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Hello,

Say for example that I for various reasons want to set up a server that streams and buffers up a continuous broadcast (an internet radio broadcast). Chops the buffered audio into several minutes long audio clips and then unicasts/multicasts them to me a list (or a queue don't really know what word to use... playlist?) of sound tracks.
Is it possible? Has it been done before? What platform/language/sdk would be best suited for implementing it?

#2 gregwarner

gregwarner

Obi Wan of Programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Unless you must implement this yourself for some reason, why not use a pre-built solution such as SHOUTcast or Squeezebox?

ti-99-sig.png
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
– Douglas Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

#3 Roman Y

Roman Y

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Well implementing it myself would be kind of a fun hobby project, but also as far as I know (at least SHOUTcast) would not have them chopped up into smaller tracks it would give me the same continuous streaming that I would get from the broadcasts themselves (that is at least my experience with it, maybe I have not discovered its full potential?)

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

There is many possible approaches to this problem.
We need to know which programing language are you working with, and on wich O.S

#5 Roman Y

Roman Y

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I am adaptable to any language and work on either Windows or various distributions of Linux (mostly ubuntu or mint).
I've asked a friend and he had an idea of how to approach a problem. Doesn't seem hard. I should be able to find some audio managing (encoding/decoding) libraries that would be able to chop up the sound for me, setting header and footers (as you can guess the audio over network isn't my strongest suit). Found an open source library called Xuggler (Java) so I am going to start hacking something in Java see what comes out. If there is an interest I can post results (or progress updates) when I get them.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download