Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 is making me crazy!

Best Answer RavenStorm, 10 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Update:

I downloaded the advanced Minecraft Error Test and ran it. Thank you so much Fried Zombie, whoever you are! Without this I would still be trying to find the problem. I strongly suspected Java but this confirmed it.

Even though I had installed 64 bit Java and not 32 bit, it was showing that Minecraft was running 32 bit and was recommending I switch to the recommended 64 bit.

After several attempts at removing and reinstalling Java, only to find the result to be the same (yes I had made sure no files were left behind.) I decided to try using a 64 bit Internet Explorer to retrieve the Java files. Believe it or not, this worked. For some reason, using Chrome was causing it to keep installing and running as 32 bit, even though I was manually installing the 64 bit version, and no browsers were open.

After that was done, I added the path in environment variables.

I ran the Advanced Minecraft Error Tests again… running 32 bit Java. Ugh!

I checked programs in the control panel and only 64 bit was installed. Something kept changing it though). I went into the System 32 folder and there was the Java folder, back again. I deleted it.

I restarted the computer and ran the Advanced Minecraft Error Test again. It could not find Java at all. It turned out I typo’d the path in environment variables.  After fixing that, I deleted the META-INF folder in the Minecraft jar file (why… who knows, I’m tired, lol. Yes I realize it was unnecessary), and ran a force update. 

Minecraft  FIXED! I ran into a field of Zombies, squished a giant spider, and used tnt to blow a hole in the ground. Ryan will be fixing his world later… oops. I try to fix the games, no one said I could play them, lol.

I tried Steam again, specifically NS2. I tried but no change. It was still crashing. It was getting further than before though. I actually got to run around for a few minutes before running into a room with too many animations and crashing. I have no idea how to play it and need a big Noob sign in game. I was running into everything.

I updated the bios again and restarted. I went into the Natural Selections 2 folder again and set it to run as administrator. This actually seemed like it was going to work. Nope. So I set Steam to run as administrator (I know.. compatibility mode is a no no for Steam… It told me); however, prior to telling me I should change it back, it updated the Steam Client Bootstrapper. It had never done that before.

I went back and unchecked run as administrator and restarted Steam by right clicking and choosing run as administrator. This time it asked if I wanted to allow it to make changes - another thing it never did before. I clicked to allow and it started up smoothly, even somewhat faster than it had been before. When I started NS2 it updated the shaders ( another first) and loaded perfectly and fairly quickly. I gave the seat back to Ryan (because as I said above… I can’t play the game) and he was having a blast. I told him to play hard to see if it would crash. 30 minutes later… no crashing. Now he is playing something else.

I think it is fixed! But I am not celebrating just yet. Some of you may be laughing because it was a simple thing to catch, but it took me close to a year because there were too many other little things happening with it that made the diagnosis harder (like that high pitch whine). I am so relieved.

What did I learn from this… To really appreciate those of you crazy enough to do this for a living! :thumbup1:

lespauled.. That was done early on and no change.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#25 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

If the 6850 is enabled I hear the sound. If not, I don't. If I completely remove the 6850.. no sound. There is a 5450 in there right now because of the issues with the 6850. I took the 6850 out last night. I am going to test it in a similar build. The only differences between the one it was bought for and the one I will be testing with is that Ryan's is a 64 bit and the other is a 32, and Ryan has the AMD FX 8120 and the other one has a Phenom II x4 940 black. The other computer has the same video card (but made by Gigabyte) and runs fine.

Edited by RavenStorm, 03 April 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#26 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

There are some possible solutions in the comments on this article: http://www.viper007b...n-moving-mouse/

I recommend trying muting Line-In first, then if that doesn't fix it, scroll down to the big comment with a whole list of them and check out other things that could be the case.

fss_overall.png

#27 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Wow, I never thought of the noise being feedback.  Interesting possibility.  

My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#28 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Ben;

I just started to read the info on that link and he is describing what I have been trying to describe. Not the video card issue, but for the sound. Thank you! Heading back to read. :)

The more I am reading.. the more it is coming together. There were events listing issues with radio frequency if I remember right. Good thing I kept notes. Looks like I have some homework to do! 

I don't know if I already said this (and I am really sleepy, so I may have and don't remember)...

With the 5450 there are zero issues with the computer as it is. No crashing, no freezing, no black screen. It is only when I put the 6850 back in and enable it. Yes I disable the 5450, and have tried with it completely removed as well.

Edited by RavenStorm, 04 April 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#29 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

So I was looking into Ryan's psu some more and from reviews I read on Newegg it looks like this particular one has a tendency to "go to sleep" as one person put it. It seems it is not able to handle the the power demands I need it to. I could be wrong, but that is what I am getting so far from reviews.

From at least one review so far: Cons: randomly shuts down my computer usually while gaming , no warning just bang its off

So.... I ordered this...

http://www.newegg.ca...VirtualParent=1

It should be here in a few days. I will post the results of changing the psu when I know more.I did try changing it before and there was no change in the crashing of the graphics card. At that time I tried it with a Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w 80 plus bronze.

Crossing fingers, eyes and toes I did not just unnecessarily spend a bunch of money on this. I will just move his weaker power supply into a tower I will be using to build a linux computer

I wish I could find something detailing what the best bios settings would be for his CPU and his graphics card. I downloaded the docs from Sapphire, but wow that is a lot to go through. I will be reading for a while, lol. :)

Edited by RavenStorm, 05 April 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#30 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

Perhaps you could just have your ears amputated so you don't hear the noise anymore :laugh:

A good quality PSU is always nice to have, it's kind of reassuring to know thatit won't randomly fry your machine! :

fss_overall.png

#31 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

A good quality PSU is always nice to have,

A good quality Power Supply is a MUST.
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#32 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I may be way off, but do you think this could have anything to do with what is happening with Ryan’s computer? I got this from the revisions guide for his CPU:

361 Breakpoint Due to an Instruction That Has an Interrupt Shadow May Be Lost

Description

A #DB exception occurring in guest mode may be discarded under the following conditions:

A trap-type #DB exception is generated in guest mode during execution of an instruction with an interrupt shadow, and

The instruction that generated the exception is immediately followed by an instruction resulting in

#VMEXIT.

Potential Effect on System

None expected under normal conditions. Debug exceptions may not be received for programs running under a hypervisor.

Suggested Workaround

None.

Fix Planned

No fix planned

Edited by RavenStorm, 08 April 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#33 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well I finally had time to install the new power supply into Ryan’s computer last night. When I did I decided to unplug everything from the board (except the cpu) and start fresh. Everything was properly seated, and everything was plugged in correctly, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try again.

The quality of the new PSU and the cables is vastly superior to his ThermaltakeTR-2RX. It is not fully modular, but I think it makes a difference in reliability for the connection (I could be wrong); at least in comparison to his older PSU. The TR2-RX had independent connectors for PCI-E, the Tachyon does not.

I had tried changing the PSU before, but only tried one that was 80 plus bronze, certified. I guess for the FX it isn’t enough. The Tachyon is 80 plus Platinum, certified, and the computer is much happier, lol. The TR2-RX wasn’t even certified.

I reviewed it on Newegg.ca and inadvertently plugged CodeCall, lol. (I googled plugged to be sure I am using the right term. Google can be frighteningly graphic when safe search is off, :laugh: )

Testing results so far…

When I turned on the computer I could swear I heard the CPU sigh with relief ;) . What a huge difference in the way it is running and sounding!

- Fans sound completely different then they had before. Before they sounded strained and as if they were working harder than necessary.

- Computer is running faster, smoother.  

- The graphics card was immediately recognized by Windows and updated. Windows had issues doing this previously and even refused to allow it to update.

- Steam immediately recognized the change and queued EVERYTHING (Ugh!) to update (No internet for the rest of us today, tonight, maybe tomorrow, lol (He has a tonne of Steam games)).  Previously Steam had not found any need to update. I am assuming these are the patches I read about for this particular cards issues.

-Windows suddenly had a lengthy list of updates (but when doesn’t it? Oh look… more Windows updates… yay   :glare: ).

- Tested minecraft last night… Started fine … until the zombies stole a door and several were visible. Crashed.  - Java SE Binary

- Let Windows update 34 more files and shut down at 3am.

This morning:

- Let Windows run more updates.

and then….

-Borderlands 2 successfully played (short time though because he was excited to try other games). He could not get past loading the game previously. He is updating Natural Selection 2 and trying to wait patiently (Not doing well on the patiently, :w00t: .).

- Tried Minecraft while waiting for his update. Crashed.  - Java SE Binary

I am looking up the Java issue (again, this has been an issue with this card since day one), while he tries more games.

If anyone knows the Java fix… please share. It has been a year trying to solve this cards problems and I am not above begging at this point, please.gif

- UPDATE: Natural Selection 2 crashed immediately. He didn’t catch the error. I am off to go see what it says in the logs.  gah.gif

I will post more as we learn whether or not the issues are resolved, or when I figure out why these crashes are occurring. I am beginning to wonder about Java for 64 bit with these games, especially Minecraft. He has 32 bit java for his browsers. Java paths are not being found by the programs. His java is up to date.

#34 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

That sounds very strange that everything found updates that it hadn't seen before.  That really doesn't make sense.

As far as the games, the first thing you should try is uninstall and reinstall the game(s).

#35 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:06 PM   Best Answer

Update:

I downloaded the advanced Minecraft Error Test and ran it. Thank you so much Fried Zombie, whoever you are! Without this I would still be trying to find the problem. I strongly suspected Java but this confirmed it.

Even though I had installed 64 bit Java and not 32 bit, it was showing that Minecraft was running 32 bit and was recommending I switch to the recommended 64 bit.

After several attempts at removing and reinstalling Java, only to find the result to be the same (yes I had made sure no files were left behind.) I decided to try using a 64 bit Internet Explorer to retrieve the Java files. Believe it or not, this worked. For some reason, using Chrome was causing it to keep installing and running as 32 bit, even though I was manually installing the 64 bit version, and no browsers were open.

After that was done, I added the path in environment variables.

I ran the Advanced Minecraft Error Tests again… running 32 bit Java. Ugh!

I checked programs in the control panel and only 64 bit was installed. Something kept changing it though). I went into the System 32 folder and there was the Java folder, back again. I deleted it.

I restarted the computer and ran the Advanced Minecraft Error Test again. It could not find Java at all. It turned out I typo’d the path in environment variables.  After fixing that, I deleted the META-INF folder in the Minecraft jar file (why… who knows, I’m tired, lol. Yes I realize it was unnecessary), and ran a force update. 

Minecraft  FIXED! I ran into a field of Zombies, squished a giant spider, and used tnt to blow a hole in the ground. Ryan will be fixing his world later… oops. I try to fix the games, no one said I could play them, lol.

I tried Steam again, specifically NS2. I tried but no change. It was still crashing. It was getting further than before though. I actually got to run around for a few minutes before running into a room with too many animations and crashing. I have no idea how to play it and need a big Noob sign in game. I was running into everything.

I updated the bios again and restarted. I went into the Natural Selections 2 folder again and set it to run as administrator. This actually seemed like it was going to work. Nope. So I set Steam to run as administrator (I know.. compatibility mode is a no no for Steam… It told me); however, prior to telling me I should change it back, it updated the Steam Client Bootstrapper. It had never done that before.

I went back and unchecked run as administrator and restarted Steam by right clicking and choosing run as administrator. This time it asked if I wanted to allow it to make changes - another thing it never did before. I clicked to allow and it started up smoothly, even somewhat faster than it had been before. When I started NS2 it updated the shaders ( another first) and loaded perfectly and fairly quickly. I gave the seat back to Ryan (because as I said above… I can’t play the game) and he was having a blast. I told him to play hard to see if it would crash. 30 minutes later… no crashing. Now he is playing something else.

I think it is fixed! But I am not celebrating just yet. Some of you may be laughing because it was a simple thing to catch, but it took me close to a year because there were too many other little things happening with it that made the diagnosis harder (like that high pitch whine). I am so relieved.

What did I learn from this… To really appreciate those of you crazy enough to do this for a living! :thumbup1:

lespauled.. That was done early on and no change.

Edited by RavenStorm, 10 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#36 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

It sounds like three were several problems all occurring at once, which makes things a lot harder to track down. It's great that you've fixed them, hopefully all of them! and I bet Ryan is pleased too :laugh: Did he enjoy watching you try to play Natural Selection 2? :laugh?

fss_overall.png

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download