Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 is making me crazy!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#13 hockey97

hockey97

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Looks like you got a strong enough PSU. The card draws 130 watts without being overclocked.

I can only think that you must have the wrong driver installed.
Did the driver you installed was it for windows 8? or windows 7?

Did you install the AMD Catalyst Control Center ? Try doing that. It should detect if you have the wrong drivers or an outdated driver.

Did you disable any onboard gpu in the BIOS?

If you tried all that I talk about above. Then your card is defective.

You have everything right according to my knowledge.

#14 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I tend to agree lespauled, but I can't figure out why. The psu should be more than enough. As soon as the card blanks out the fan on it goes crazy. I originally had it up near the cpu, but moved it lower in case the heat was effecting it. It made no difference.

Hockey 97... yes, the driver is the correct one. It was a nightmare fight with windows to get it to stick though! Windows kept over-writing it to the one it thought I should have (a generic one), which was as bad as the proper one. I also installed the profiles from AMD for his games.
There isn't an onboard graphics chip on that board. Without a card there is no video.

#15 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Are the fans configured correctly? You should have more fans set to intake than you do exhaust. usually, the lower ones in the case set to intake, and the higher ones exhaust. Any side fans on exhaust also. I don't know much about that case, but I always use Antec 900, or Antec 1200 cases. incredible air flow.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#16 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yes, they are. But one thing had me wondering from the day I built it... the psu sits on the bottom, fan down, with a screen over the bottom of the tower where it sits. This only allows about an inch of airflow underneath, and only because I raised the tower to allow that much. However, the other tower is the same and no issues. It's a mystery, lol.

Do you think maybe the ram is incompatible? I was just reading here... http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=334410 and post #23 talks about incompatible ram.

And yes... when the card doesn't crash completely we get this warning... "driver has stopped working but has recovered successfully"

One other note - it doesn't crash in safe mode.

The motherboard specs are here... http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3894#sp

#17 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I had put this on hold for a few days while I took care of other things, but today I am going to try putting in another PSU (Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w 80 plus bronze) to see if it is the issue. I was reading reviews on the PSU that is in there now and it could very well be the issue. I will update later today, providing we still have electricity. Freezing rain just started and we get some wicked ice storms here.

It was not the power supply...ugh.
Oh and I tried different Ram a few days ago... nope, not that either.

Edited by RavenStorm, 16 December 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#18 Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

I might've missed it, but you've swapped every component and it still doesn't work, right? Did you try back on Windows 7? Or maybe some (Linux) live CD?

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.

#19 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

He was originally using Windows 7 Home Premium. When I decided that it might be best to reinstall Windows, I opted to buy an OEM of Windows 8 rather than install Vista and then 7. (7 was an upgrade). So the issues began on 7, continued with 8. However, His Windows 8, although a "sort of" full OEM, still uses his previous licences as though it was an upgrade. It backs itself up in the cloud, and then uses those files to repair itself, etc. The card was working just fine until an update for Windows 7 Service pack 1 in October, Linux is not really an option. He uses it primarily for gaming, most via Steam.

I should add again that the OEM of Windows 8 was done remotely by a floor manager of the tech department at Microsoft. Apparently the full version is not due for release until January, but he did it because of our problems. He was baffled by the card and the fact the drivers do not like to stick. We also have issues with paths, as well as much of the resources and their paths are listed as unknown. One of his system folders is completely empty, even when the system files are not hidden. The floor manager at microsoft said that was unusual, but could not rectify the problem.

Edited by RavenStorm, 18 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#20 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

This is still an issue. I had a thought. Maybe I am way off, or even nuts for wondering, but could the noise I am hearing when moving the mouse have anything to do with the signal to noise ratio? I have very sensitive hearing, so does my son who owns this computer. Out of 6 of us in the house, only 3 of us actually hear it. If that is the case, then I would assume the sound has nothing to do with the issue of the card not functioning correctly.

#21 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I doubt it because they are separate components.

"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#22 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

The mouse noise is when you move it, or when you click?

Edit: Whoops, we went over that already :laugh: ignore me :biggrin:

Edited by BenW, 03 April 2013 - 07:21 AM.

fss_overall.png

#23 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. I am not referring to the mouse squeek from the other post, but rather the noise described at the beginning of this one. This is my son's computer in this post. The other post is about my own. 

From the original post in this thread:

"The newer graphics card creates a very high pitch sound (coming from the monitor) when the mouse is moved across the screen. "

p.s. The monitor has built in speakers.

Edited by RavenStorm, 03 April 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#24 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Have you tried plugging in headphones to try and diagnose if the problem is from the computer or the monitor?

If the headphones don't have the squeal, you know it's the monitor speakers, and is a simple fix.  If the squeal is heard in the heaphones, you to start checking other options.

Does your video card have 2 power connectors?  If so, are both connected correctly?

Also, try changing outlets to keep the 2 plugs as far away as possible to eliminate electromagnetic interference. 

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download