Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 is making me crazy!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Specs

Chasse: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full Tower (has as many fans installed as it can hold)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ AMD 990FX Motherboard

CPU: AMD Bulldozer X8 FX-8120 (125W) Eight Core Socket AM3+, 3.1GHz

Cooling for CPU: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 1156/1366/775 &
AMD Socket AM3/AM2+/939/754 Up to 200 Watts

Video Card: Sapphire (11180-00-20R) AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 - AMD Radeon HD 6850
Chipset (775Mhz) 1GB GDDR5 (4000Mhz) Memory HD Audio Triple Display (Dual DVI)
/HDMI/Display Port PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series DDR3 1866MHz (PC3-14900) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-
14900CL9D-8GBSR)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W Modular Power Supply TRX-650M, all of the proper cords are being used with it.

HD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Cache:
64MB

Surge protector: iCAN 8 Outlets Metal Power Bar - 6 ft Cord 1875W

Display: ASUS VH196T Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 5000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in
Speakers

Windows 8 Professional, 64 bit, fully up to date
BIOS up to date
Catalyst/Engine up to date
All drivers up to date.
Java up to date

The Problem:

The computer works great. I can use an older video card (Sapphire Radeon HD 5450) with no issues other than it is too weak for my son's games (Crysis, Natural Selection 2, etc).

The newer graphics card creates a very high pitch sound (coming from the monitor) when the mouse is moved across the screen. I tried changing bios settings and monitor settings. I tried a different monitor… nope. I tried a different power supply and RAM. Even Minecraft crashes it. The card fails and recovers but is frozen, or the screen goes black, but you can hear the game. It is only the card failing, explorer is fine. Originally it was failing to the point we would get the “no signal” box on the monitor. Now it just goes black, but retains sound. You also hear the fan on the card start up and it sounds like it is spinning at a very high rate. The RAM is installed as per Gigabytes specifications for his set-up.

I have spent days/weeks on it. Just when I think it might be ok…poof! Out it goes again.
I have been finding numerous complaints the same as mine that date back to 2010. It doesn’t appear that anyone has found a solution. AMD has recognized there is an issue, but hasn’t done anything to solve it.

I spent hours on the phone and in a remote session with the floor manager of tech support at Microsoft. He could not figure it out. It began after a Windows 7 SP1 update in October. Prior to that, the card ran well. So I went as far as to even buy a new hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 8 professional (OEM… which is why the floor manager at Microsoft. That version apparently is not released yet.) The computer is clean/virus free… I went through the whole run down with that as well, prior to the new hard drive and Windows installation.

Sorry for the long post. I am hoping someone here might know what is happening. It is driving me nuts, and I would be very grateful if someone can help me get this thing fixed. The parts are all new. I built the computer, it is not a kit.

Thanks

#2 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Personally I'd return the card for a replacement. Is that not possible anymore?

fss_overall.png

#3 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Some of those cards come overclocked. If this is the case with yours, turn off any overclocking in the cards settings/drivers.

These are really 2 completely different generations of cards. I recommend using driver sweeper from guru3d to clean out any video drivers and then install the latest drivers.

If that doesn't work, return the card

http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

#4 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi guys, sorry it took a bit to reply. Exams and final projects time for me right now.
Ben, returning the card will be a pain as I have to send it back to Sapphire. I have heard they are not exactly great when it comes to customer service.
lespauled, The card is not overclocked. I made sure because I didn't want it to ever be overclocked on my son's machine. I have heard that the bulldozers do not play nice with everything though and wondered a lot about that. I tried sweeping drivers, etc prior to changing the hard drive and OS, it made no difference. We were getting all of the same typical errors I see all over the internet relating to this card. If it is happening to so many people it can't be just hardware.

Two possibilities I wondered about (aside from the bulldozer issue):

If the card is PCI Express 2.1 x16 and the slot is 2.0 x16, will that make a difference? From what I saw on the motherboards page, it shouldn't, but then again it isn't very specific either.

Could it be the monitor? I doubt it is as I have tried it with another monitor, but it was an older one as well. It was new enough to have HDMI though. His current one does not have it.

I would love to find a thorough bios setup for his board that includes his chip and gpu. That would make things so much easier. I followed one I saw on Tom's hardware as well and it did not change anything. I have reset cmos, flashed and updated bios, you name it.

The issue always seems to stem back to a conflict with Java. I know nothing about Java, so it leaves me stumped. Java is also up to date and correctly installed, However when looking in the control panel, it seems to have an issue with keeping the paths.
In performance logs, 60 to 70 % of the programs running are listed as unknown or paths unavailable (even after a clean install of Windows 8 on a brand new hard drive.). That had the manager at Microsoft mystified.

Oh another thought.... Could it be something with the bios setup not being able to relay paths correctly? Something blocking or mixing it up?

#5 Colanth

Colanth

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

BIOS has absolutely nothing to do with paths, it's the interface between the hardware that doesn't need drivers and the software. (Hard drives operate at the same place regardless of the motherboard, so you don't need a driver for a plain old drive. Fancy drives, drive arrays, etc., come with drivers, because the BIOS has no code for them.) The BIOS knows tracks and sectors, not paths.

I'd suspect a just plain bad design of the board. I'd eat the cost if necessary and get a different board. I tend to stay away from a) cheap versions of graphics cards - they're made of cheap parts and B) ATI. But if you prefer ATI, I'm not going to start a GPU war here. :)

#6 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Maybe the way I worded things was confusing, but I never mentioned needing drivers for a hard drive. With bios, I was referring to the way it is detecting the graphics card.
I didn't really think $200 for the card was cheap either. I know there are more expensive ones out there than $200, but there are also much cheaper. I am not a fan of nvidia.. I have had far too many issues in the past with them. One thing I have noticed people saying lately is that Sapphire has been cheaping out on production. I have the Radeon HD 6850 in another machine and it has no issues at all, however it was made by Gigabyte, not sapphire, and the CPU in that machine is a Phenom II x4 965 black.

#7 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

What happens if you swap the working 6850 with the one that doesn't? Does the faulty one work in the other machine? Does the working one stop working in your son's PC?

On one of my other PCs, the high pitched noise as I moved the mouse across the screen turned out to be a warning sign that the motherboard was failing. A later Google search, after the PC had been repaired, suggested a few possible causes behind it, but none were graphics card related. I assume you've checked already that it only happens with that graphics card in the machine, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because the noise is so rare to hear on a PC.

fss_overall.png

#8 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

The noise only occurs when that card is enabled. To test the other card I would force my other son into computer withdrawal and that would be horrific! It would be like trying to take a steak away from a dog that hasn't eaten in days. :laugh:
I hope it isn't the board. It is new. I tried changing the slot the card was in and it made no difference, so I know it isn't that. I find it weird so many people have the exact same issue with this card though. Google search and you will see. There is a write up on Sapphire, but no fix. :s

#9 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, probably not the board in that case. How old is your son, by the way? I felt like that when my PC was broken and I couldn't use it for a while :laugh:

fss_overall.png

#10 RavenStorm

RavenStorm

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

I have 4... 25, 23, 15, 13. The only one who isn't computer crazy is the 23 year old, lol.

#11 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

I see :laugh: Guess it runs in the family :)

fss_overall.png

#12 lespauled

lespauled

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

This may be a long shot, but are you sure the other card isn't taxing your power supply? Sounds like that card needs a lot of power that it doesn't have.
My Blog: http://forum.codecal...699-blog-77241/
"Women and Music: I'm always amazed by other people's choices." - David Lee Roth

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download