Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

You may only use up to 0 images in your signature.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I get this message when trying to add an image in my signature. Do I have to wait until I can become an Expert member here to gain those privilleges? Or is it just not allowed?

"You may only use up to 0 images in your signature."

Microsoft MVP (2012) - .NET Programming | ®Crestron DMC-T Certified Programmer
Posted Image

#2 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

http://forum.codecal...bership-groups/

Point 3.

#3 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yes, but "1 URL", also includes the ability to add 1 image instead of a url?

I would've thought:
[url][/url]

Not:
[img][/img]

Posted Image

#4 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

URL and IMG tags are different. They do different things. IMG tags have been disabled which is why you can't use images in your signatures for whatever reason.
Here's the difference b/w [ url ] and [ img ] tags
URL:
http://upload.wikime...es_Original.png
IMG:
Posted Image

(You can trust i used bbcode)

Look at this topic:
http://forum.codecal...re/#entry645959

#5 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

I know what the difference is, that's why I posted them both in the code tags. But my main question was whether or not IMG tags are allowed at some point in signatures for regular members (not admins, staff, etc...)?

But point 3 as you've referred me to, talks about "URL"s. I don't see a mention about images or IMG tags on that page? :S

edit: I know you've referred him to point #3 as well, but as he said, it doesn't mention images anywhere in there. I know boards do not treat URL's and IMG's the same, but it doesn't state that they are talking about URL tags, it just says "1 URL", "2 URL's". Images are still URL locations, but they don't link back to it by a mouse click event like reguar URL tags do when they parse to the <a href="">?</a> HTML equivilant.

There was no definitive answer as to whether IMG's were allowed or never allowed in signatures though, even in that last thread. And I don't see clarity about that in that CodeCall reference either.... Unless we just assume, since it isn't mentioned, that we're never able to use images in signatures?

Cheers
Ace

Posted Image

#6 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

I believe that there is no possibility to put images in the signature because it will eat the memory of the server. That is what I think.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

#7 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I believe that there is no possibility to put images in the signature because it will eat the memory of the server. That is what I think.

Oh well... I think it would be rewarding if we could add at least one when becoming an Expert member or some other rank. That's the way i've seen other forums do it. For VBulletin I believe you can set one signature picture, and have it's own tag to place it anywhere in your signature. The n number of lines allowed in your signature for a certain member rank thing, I have seen before, but never a forum that didn't allow images in signatures.

It would decrease page load time, but even if you limited the filesize, and perhaps dimensional size of the images allowed, I don't think it would harm much.

I'll just have to get used to it. Thanks :)

~Ace

Posted Image

#8 neil

neil

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

http://forum.codecal...re/#entry645966

#9 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Like Neil said, images can be annoying unless we limit the size to something very narrow. But then some people will still try to abuse that. That's why it's disabled. :-)

Okay.

But I don't understand what he means by "abuse" in this context. You should not be able to abuse a maximum signature image size... You would only be able to make it just the size of the max height and width. Although people from other forums i've been on have shown that they are mature and responsible enough to be considerate. I know other forums that don't have any limits, but abusing the signatures in any way results in a ban.

For those people that find images annoying, there's features on various forums i've been to, where you can disable the visibility of other's signatures while you are browsing the forum.

There's lots of ways, other than, just not allowing anybody to have them. Penalizing everybody because of a select few isn't the way to do things.

I don't run this forum, but that's just speaking my mind...

Cheers
Ace

Posted Image

#10 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I've moved this topic to the Forum questions Board for you, because I think it fits better there.

Roger explained in the other thread the reasoning behind why we don't currently allow them; at the same time we're always open to hearing suggestions and discussing potential changes.

For those of you who'd like to use images - if you could only pick one, would you prefer an image or a link?

This isn't any sort of suggestion that we'll make any changes (and Roger has the final say in the matter!) but there is the potential to add images as an unlockable for higher post count groups if enough people felt it would improve the boards for them. On the other hand, if it turns out either that most people don't want images cluttering up threads on a board where the focus is programming, that would definitely rule it out!

Thanks for your feedback either way! :)

fss_overall.png

#11 Roger

Roger

Skadoosh!

• Administrator
  • 1222 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Good points, guys, about the signature. Especially what Ace said about the maturity of the members, which should not be a problem here on the site. Let's give it a try!

Now, for the image, what would be a good size? I'm thinking about starting with a standard size, 468x15, or double that, 468x30.

Also, from what member group level? We can make it line up with the URL rules:
- one (1) image, not linked starting from 50+ posts (Adv members)
- one (1) image, can be a URL/link starting from 300+ posts (Sr members)

What do you think?

If this works out well, we can even open our Gallery feature as well. We can migrate our wall paper, count-to-infinity and other image threads to the gallery. Just a thought...

New around here? Click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Or do a quick search and you may find the answer you're looking for.

#12 Tonchi

Tonchi

Helping the world with programming

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

It is fine by me.

Microsoft Student Partner, Microsoft Certified Professional

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download