Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Best laptop for programming

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#13 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

I've programmed on everything from an 8" netbook (EEE PC 4G) to my current 17" laptop. I can assure you that there is a minimum screen size that you need to code comfortably. It's POSSIBLE on an 8" screen, but not fun. 13" was pretty decent, but I find myself always craving more screen real-estate.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#14 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

I have a 22" monitor and find it very difficult to use smaller screens now, for programming or otherwise. As you move up in screen size you get used to how nice it is just to have space for everything :)

fss_overall.png

#15 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Look into lenovo

#16 javascriptscrub

javascriptscrub

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

+1 for Lenovo

graphics tend to be the only disappointing thing about them, that and physical weight with some models

#17 Alcamech

Alcamech

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

+1 for Lenovo

graphics tend to be the only disappointing thing about them, that and physical weight with some models

I can argue otherwise , because I have a lenovo laptop with a Nvida Geforce GT550m , and it can run games like crysis 2 on high settings and get around 40-50 fps .

#18 irfan_s

irfan_s

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi.
I got myself a Lenovo L430 -> http://reviews.cnet....7-10012289.html
Pretty decent resolution (1600 x 900), enough RAM, and a highspeed HDD.
The keyboard is quite responsive and quiet.

You might want to consider this option aswell.

Have a nice day.

-irfan

#19 numberwhun

numberwhun

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

If your doing .Net programming, then definitely stick with something Windows based as your going to need Visual Studio. But, since nobody has put it out there yet, if your doing most anything else, I personally love my Mac.
Now before all the anti-mac ranting and raving, sure they are more expensive and others will claim they are all about proprietary this and that. But after fighting it for so long, I have to say that I am personally smitten with my Mac and love it.

Granted, I can run Windows in Parallels (virtualization software) and run Visual Studio in there, so in the long run it doesn't matter. My vote is for a Mac due to their stability and reliability.

Regards,

Jeff

#20 BKTheRussian

BKTheRussian

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

As much as I hate Macs (for some of the reasons you listed), I have to agree on stability on reliability. I got it for my wife because she's prone to.... let's just say that technology and her don't agree on some things. One year later, still no issues. Happy wife = happy life.

As far as my vote goes, I'd go with Toshiba or Lenovo. Both companies create great products. I would steer clear of HP, Dell or Compaq. I personally had bad experiences with those three.

#21 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

And I personally have never had anything but great experiences with Dell, so different it can be.

Edit: and that don't only mean my 3 personal dell computers during the ages, but also about 10-15 dell computers at customers I've been managing.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#22 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Same, love my dell :)

#23 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

Personally I'd avoid Dell - simply because they were fined a couple of years ago for knowingly putting faulty components in their lower spec machines.

fss_overall.png

#24 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

When buying a dell, my first piece of advice is to go to the business models, not the consumer models. Much better computers that way.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download