Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Robotics & ESP forum/sub-forum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sato

Sato

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I thought that there might be a fair bit of people who are knowledgeable or interested in robotics and embedded systems programming. Things that'd go here would be robot/machine development, robotics programming, and others like augmented reality glasses, sensing, etc.
What do you think?

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well, we have actually shrunk the number of subforums to get more activity in some less populated ones, so I don't think we want to add more now, but you are mostly welcome to discuss it in our General Programming area or the language you use for your embedded systems. I know we got some threads to and fro about embedded systems.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 Sato

Sato

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Oh okay, thanks! That's a good strategy but I actually came here looking for a place to discuss robotics and integrated technologies like motion tracking, augmented reality, etc.. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything directly focused on the subjects so I searched for programming communities in hope of it being an area of discussion; I chose to register at Codecall due to its superb design. So maybe if there was a section for robotics and such it would give Codecall an even greater edge over other forums of a similar focus.

#4 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

In my absence I've pondered various micro-controller series for programming, at the very least in my limited time capacity a "PIC vs PC" C programming guide (clever title!). I'm sure people here would be excited you can program with avr-gcc on a chip costing less than a medium coffee and control motors.

I'm unsure I'd ever be able to help with augmented reality or motion tracking however, the section may dwindle.

Alexander.

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#5 Sato

Sato

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Those were just interesting examples; what I'm suggesting would cover all aspects of robotics and related topics.

#6 Alexander

Alexander

YOL9

• 3963 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

What beginning topics can you think of, are there other forums robotics programming related we could see examples of?

I suppose calculating the frequency required to drive an H-bridge can be an interesting task, gathering sensor data from and normalizing it... but I am unable to imagine users' questions in here extending past tutorials for it.

Embedded makes sense, but C is C, I seem to recall the odd question here and there - but you'll still not use much of RISC or ARM specific stuff.

FPGA would be a whole other beast, synthesizing common algorithms that can make your dual core seem like a kitten, but that's mostly hardware still.

(It is just my comments, opinion and investigation, which I suppose others require too - do not take this as any sort of official response)

All new problems require investigation, and so if errors are problems, try to learn as much as you can and report back.

#7 Sato

Sato

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Here are some examples:
http://www.societyof...x.php?board=2.0
http://forums.trosse...mdisplay.php?36

I'm sure a fair bit of people would be able to think of their own content to add and will; it is generally considered an interesting topic.

#8 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

I think a post about robotics hardware would be something most of people, robotic minded or not, would check out.

I am not into robotics myself, but i am curious enough to read about it.

#9 BenW

BenW

CC Devotee

• Community Manager
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

The main issues would be whether enough people would use the board regularly to be worth it, and if so, whether we had enough experts on hand to be able to answer questions people were posting.

You're definitely welcome to start threads about the topic in whichever board is currently most relevant, probably General Programming. If there was a lot of interest in the topic, it would be more likely to get a board of it's own.

fss_overall.png

#10 Sato

Sato

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Okay, I understand. Thanks for the consideration anyways. :)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download