Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

iPod Touch 5 vs Galaxy Player 5?

apple samsung ipod galaxy touch player 5 5th generation better

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hello everyone.

Which device is better, Apple's iPod Touch 5(th generation), or Samsung's Galaxy Player 5?

I searched online for a little bit, and the iPod touch seems to have better cameras, but the Touch doesn't have any SD card adapters, etc. The Galaxy Player's specification says that it has a GPS, but what does that mean? Does it actually have a GPS satellite receiver, or does it just use a "GPS" of cell towers, etc.?

Does anyone have either of the devices?

Any discussion of the devices' uses?

Currently, the GPS is the thing I'm most curious about.

Thanks in advance for any information about this.
Regards,
RR

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes it's a real gps, as I understand the specs. But I wonder, why get such device at all these days instead of a normal phone with all the same and more function, and have all in one?

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

What's the point of getting a phone (as opposed to such a device) if I'm not going to have any service plans anyway? It's not like I'm about to start paying some $50 (or whatever the plan asks for) per month for some phone service that I don't really need. It's not reasonable, I think.

I'll probably wait and see if Apple implements GPS on their next generation of iPod Touch. However, I do understand that that's not very likely. Meanwhile, I can just explore different options. How long will it be until Apple releases the next generation?

Basically, I want something that will notify me whenever I receive an email or something; the small size of those devices makes them a good option because then the user can just have the device in their pocket. I also want something that I can use for testing touch-based web apps that I sometimes write.

I heard (from someone) that Android is not as good of an operating system as iOS, so I really don't know if I want to get an Android-based device. The cameras are better on the Touch, too, so that makes me think that the Touch is better; however, the Touch doesn't currently have GPS, so that makes me think that the Galaxy Player is better.
Regards,
RR

#4 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Android or ios is a matter of taste. Apple launched their latest in september, so it will probably be a while to next launch. Apple usually don't put gps in devices without mobile connection, ipad is made that way, only those with 3G/4G has gps.

Well, of course, if you don't want a cell phone, don't get one, but it's convienent to have all in the same device instead of having one phone and one player. Usually, current sim with plan is just to move to the new device, so no need to get a new one if you already got one.

Apple has built in memory and on most android you can have a sd card and change between for a bigger music library, or just to upgrade from a smaller to a bigger memory.

Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#5 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

So now I'm wondering about some other things.

Android devices do have the ability to alert notifications (a sound or something) when the user gets a new email, right?

Also, I heard that there's Siri or whatever it's called, and it's supposed to be able to understand audio queries that the user gives it. If that's true, then does Android have that?
Regards,
RR

#6 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

There are a few such apps to download for Android. I just searched for "Siri for Android" on google and got loads of hits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple, samsung, ipod, galaxy, touch, player, 5, 5th generation, better

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download