Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

[C] Which plotting library should I use for animate 3d-bin-packing problem?

c

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 patiobarbecue

patiobarbecue

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Programming Language:C

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

[C]

I never used any GUI or plotting library before, and I know it will be a big invetment of time and effort to learn one. Hence need experienced programmers to kindly share your opinions.

A 3d-bin-packing problem is to put as many as possible small cubes of different sizes into a big cube container. I would like to:

(1) render a 3D solution;
(2) allow a reviewer to drag and rotate the 3Dplot so as to see it from different perspective;
(3) animate the packing process, i.e., show how boxes are inserted one after another.

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

My first thought: use OpenGL or DirectX.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 patiobarbecue

patiobarbecue

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Programming Language:C

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for replying, WindgedPanther. I read wikipedia on OpenGl and found it is interesting to render 3D with OpenGL, which is also cross platform. However, the wikipage also hints that OpenGL is also a low level one, while the higher level function is provided through others, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL under the subtitle "Higher level functionality". I do need GUI too. Idealy, I shall have a GUI with a subwindow to render 3D image, and user can drag and roate the 3D image. In this case, can you give more specific suggestions?

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

The answer will depend on whether you need a cross-platform solution, what GUI constructs you need, what licensing considerations you have, etc.

wxWidgets, QT, gtkmm, Visual C++ are all possibilities, depending on what you're looking for.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download