Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The best type of file for develope databases

mysql sql ms sql oracle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sessho

sessho

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

HI, I'm beginner about databases, I'm looking for the best kind of file for build my databases, I mean, the most compatible with the diferent query languages. I would like to use the information inside in other developments in the future but I'm not sure if I have to star in a common excel file or perhaps there are another useful options.

#2 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Databases don't work that way. The database manager/server handles the files totally on it's own, not to be messed with unless you really know how to handle them.

The usual way to use a database is to have a database service running on a computer and the application, whatever programming language is used (more or less) do queries to the database via a special query language, often SQL.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

#3 papabear

papabear

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

you might be asking for suggestion on what RDBMS(Relational Database Management System)
it is a system that handles databases, you have to learn SQL or Structured Query Language in different websites, once you learned the basic queries.. you are all set, you just need to figure out how to connect your RDBMS often called database..
into your programming language, in connecting you'll meet a friend called ConnectionString good luck :)
Life has no CTRL+Z
Never Forget To HIT "LIKE" If I Helped

#4 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

HI, I'm beginner about databases, I'm looking for the best kind of file for build my databases, I mean, the most compatible with the diferent query languages. I would like to use the information inside in other developments in the future but I'm not sure if I have to star in a common excel file or perhaps there are another useful options.

About database File, Orjan answered it clearly.

About query languages, all Database engines works on SQL, being ANSI-SQL compatible with them all, and then, every engine adds up some proprietary functionality.
If you refer to a file to be commonly taken by databases as data-import source, more than regular xls file, i would say that .csv files ( comma separated ) are easily imported to every database i know.

#5 sessho

sessho

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Programming Language:ActionScript
  • Learning:Objective-C, PHP, JavaScript

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

My main doubt was about in which type of file I have to strat to gather information in tables and avoid to work twice (the less possible) before migrate my info to differents kinds of RDBMS. I'm having a look to w3chools.com, in the SQL section. The info of all of thre have been very useful, thanks

#6 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

if you start with one DBMS and want to change later, you can always get your data transfered via SQL statements so it can easily be imported to the new DBMS, as long as they are SQL compatible, which most are.

I'm a System developer at XLENT Consultant Group mainly working with SugarCRM.
Please DO NOT send mail or PM to me with programming questions, post them in the appropriate forum instead, where I and others can answer you.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download